GPR speed issues???

I have a 2001 GP1200r with RIVA heads, ride plate and intake. Carbs rebuilt, stuffed shoe, FF exhaust, D-plate, sensor chip, solas 13/19, IR holeshot kit and Carbon Tech reeds...the tiny-tach reads 7120rpms and the gps 64.3mph on flat water...The GPR pulls strong in the low and midrange. I feel that my top speed should be higher or is that what GPRs should run with that set up? should it be around 67 to 70 mph range?. Will a worn wear ring cause lost top end speed? or maybe my carbon tech reeds (50hrs on them) are goin bad? Do I need a solas 14/20? or vf3s? I need some advice!!!

+1
    Do you have your pump show sealed? If you do and did not sand down the pieces it could be sitting to low causing speed loss. Do you have your Riva ride plate shimmed? With your set up you could get a 14/20 and that will give you more speed also.

yes the pump is sealed..are you talking about sanding the pump seal kit pieces?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    Do you have your pump show sealed? If you do and did not sand down the pieces it could be sitting to low causing speed loss. Do you have your Riva ride plate shimmed? With your set up you could get a 14/20 and that will give you more speed also.
    Not necessarily, a 14/20 has a steep root angle, since he is already having trouble running the speed with the RPMs up I would say that this is a hull issue (low shoe, etc). You have good RPM's, your speed is just down. Find the drag and your speed will go up. THEN you can worry about pitching up and using those RPMS you have.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Not necessarily, a 14/20 has a steep root angle, since he is already having trouble running the speed with the RPMs
    I missed the RPM's. Your right.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by unscorpio40 View Post
    yes the pump is sealed..are you talking about sanding the pump seal kit pieces?
    When you put the pieces into the pump shoe they also have to been sanded flush with the shoe. So it will sit up high and not cause drag.

That has to be it!!! I did put the pieces on without sanding them, do I need to get new pieces or just sand the old ones down? Thanks for the tip, I notice the speed loss a few months back when I installed the Riva ride plate, intake and pump seal kit. Check out the pic... let me know if you can tell if the shoe is low!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00174-20091011-1450.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	155031  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Not necessarily, a 14/20 has a steep root angle, since he is already having trouble running the speed with the RPMs up I would say that this is a hull issue (low shoe, etc). You have good RPM's, your speed is just down. Find the drag and your speed will go up. THEN you can worry about pitching up and using those RPMS you have.
    +1

Thread Information