Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Ride Plate / Intake Grate - SL650

Well...I finally got enough of the 'guts' out of the hull to be able to turn it over. I was planning on checking the ride plate, intake grate, etc. and make sure they were sealed down and tight. Unfortunately, I found that the ride plate is now concave, the grate is bent on all four bars, and there are a few 'chunks' of gelcoat missing from the hull....

I can deal with the hull...epoxy in the damaged areas and do a gelcoat repair, but the ride plate and grate should probably be replaced. The question I have is: Is there a better ride plate for the SL that will work well with the shorter pump (I do not want to extend the pump), and also the intake grate. My main purpose for this ski is going to be just playing around, and being silly, not setting top speed records.

Ocean Pro ride plate (extended or regular). Extended Ocean plate is much better if you ride in choppy conditions.

R&D polaris intake grate. Runs for around 50 USD used on ebay.

I have both on my 650 and 750.

The ocean pro extended plate is almost impossible to find used. You can still get them from the manufacturer. They run for about 100 USD new. The shorter ones I have seen on ebay for 70usd used.

These two additions make a huge difference in porpoising. Your kidney's will thank you.

If you want the original ones, I have good used ones (plate & grate) that I can let go for almost nothing. Shipping will be cheap as you're in Canada also. PM me if interested.

+1
    Well there ya go. either way -your in! Would the same aftermarket plate , grate fit my 95 slt? would I feel a difference? it rides great now.

How much longer is the extended plate? I don't want it sticking out the back too far. I like the idea of the Ocean Pro plate and the R&D grate. If I am going to replace them, may as well use it as an excuse to upgrade right? The other crazy thing I forgot to mention was that half of the bolts were missing!!! I think this ski has been abused!

With the wind we get here in Southern Alberta, I need to make sure it rides good in choppy waters. It seems the only day of the week that the water is calm is on Sundays when everyone is packing up to go back home.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    How much longer is the extended plate? I don't want it sticking out the back too far. I like the idea of the Ocean Pro plate and the R&D grate. If I am going to replace them, may as well use it as an excuse to upgrade right? The other crazy thing I forgot to mention was that half of the bolts were missing!!! I think this ski has been abused!

With the wind we get here in Southern Alberta, I need to make sure it rides good in choppy waters. It seems the only day of the week that the water is calm is on Sundays when everyone is packing up to go back home.
    The OP "R" plate is about 2" longer than a stocker. It doesn't stick out too far, and will help with choppy water. The OP "O" plate is about another 2-3" longer than the "R", but will do the best in choppy waters. It may stick out too far for you???

The R&D intake grate is a good grate that will help keep the pump loaded, and the ski stuck to the water a littlew better. Also good for choppy water.

Any of these will not prevent you from playing, but will change the handling a bit for the better. Not as loose in a hard turn, but can still do donuts and such.

You can also look into the SLX 780 ride plate as a cheap alternative. It is longer than stock too and will also work nearly as well as the OP's.

Never used a R&D speedplate. but may also be a better than stock plate if you can get one cheap enough.

I have seen a few plates on Ebay lately, but no smoking deals!!!! I usually post the really good deals in the Ebay BIN on here when I see them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Well there ya go. either way -your in! Would the same aftermarket plate , grate fit my 95 slt? would I feel a difference? it rides great now.
    The intake grate will work, but the ride plate will not.

If I'm not mistaken, I think your 95 SLT is an odd one. Think she only has 1 aftermarket plate option available to her.

There was a thread on here about it. Try contacting Blue martin, or Beerdart about it. Pretty sure they can tell you more.

+1

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    Quote Originally Posted by rob2337 View Post
    Ocean Pro ride plate (extended or regular). Extended Ocean plate is much better if you ride in choppy conditions.

R&D polaris intake grate. Runs for around 50 USD used on ebay.

I have both on my 650 and 750.

The ocean pro extended plate is almost impossible to find used. You can still get them from the manufacturer. They run for about 100 USD new. The shorter ones I have seen on ebay for 70usd used.

These two additions make a huge difference in porpoising. Your kidney's will thank you.

If you want the original ones, I have good used ones (plate & grate) that I can let go for almost nothing. Shipping will be cheap as you're in Canada also. PM me if interested.
    Here you guys go, ocean pro ride plate for the SL's, you can go to his store for the SLT models also. He is a great guy, call him anytime for info!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/OCEAN-PRO-RIDE-PLATE-racing-POLARIS-SL-H-XH-jet-ski_W0QQitemZ310165110009QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPerson al_Watercraft_Parts?hash=item483747fcf9

http://cgi.ebay.com/OCEAN-PRO-RIDE-PLATE-ocean-POLARIS-SL-H-XH-jet-ski_W0QQitemZ310089339526QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPerson al_Watercraft_Parts?hash=item4832c3d286

first link for racing version, 2nd link for ocean version

Also I have a excellent condition stock intake grate that I will sell for $15 plus actual shipping to a green hulker!

Correct me if I am wrong: The OP racing plate is longer than stock, but not as long as the OP ocean plate. Other than that is there any difference in the racing and the ocean version? They look very similar except length.

+1
    Dirtykidracing has a list of parts for sale.

The R&D ride plate and a 12/17 impeller will work for your 650.

Not sure how good the R&D plate works compared to an OP or SLX though, but the price if good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information