Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grates

+1

Grates

I was looking at some grates and was seeing that some are 3 slits ,some 2 and some not much of anything. I cruise with weeds around in the lakes sometimes. I thought the 3-slit grate protects the pump from injesting big objects.
    I also noticed on the race ones, that once the ski is in the air and "on the plate" The angle of attack on the grate matches the ski's angle while it's cruising better than the stock ones. the stock one looks like a floor vent in your house!
    Are they really helpful for speed or just hook up or both?
    Do you hear horror stories of a grate that has like 1 slot in it sucking up rocks easier?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    I was looking at some grates and was seeing that some are 3 slits ,some 2 and some not much of anything. I cruise with weeds around in the lakes sometimes. I thought the 3-slit grate protects the pump from injesting big objects.
    I also noticed on the race ones, that once the ski is in the air and "on the plate" The angle of attack on the grate matches the ski's angle while it's cruising better than the stock ones. the stock one looks like a floor vent in your house!
    Are they really helpful for speed or just hook up or both?
    Do you hear horror stories of a grate that has like 1 slot in it sucking up rocks easier?
    The more bars the better the protection from debris ingestion.

The stock intake is quite good for a top speed intake on smooth water. The scoop type (R&D) are better suited for choppy conditions as they help keep the pump loaded and keep the ski planted in the water better.

Check out all the grates available

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=intake+grates

+1
    I knew there were tons of grates out there. but after starting at 30 different kinds, how do you pick one? Only top speed or smooth water ?
    Better handling or strickly for keeping the pump full and holding the ski down in big waves and keeping it planted while carving turns?.
    Looks like in the pics, there soooooooooooooo many different designs, I'm guessing some are very use specific.
    I guess you could swap 1 out for a day to go racing against buddies and switch back to rec riding or wave jumping. So you need 3!!!!
    1. racing
    2. rec riding
    3. wave jumping and very rough chop. 3ft + waves

Which ones are GH approved for a 95 750 slt stock. 45 mph here so not sure if a high end one would even help. Would it grip so well that it changes the 360's appeal of the ski? or slidability on turns?
    If you had to chose based on experience with them. which ones would you pick for the 3 ?

+1

+1
    I see.

+1
    Of all those grates available back then, only a few are around still. So you don't have as much to choose from as you might think.

Same grate comes up over and over when people ask. Why do you think that is?

R&D is a good rough water grate that won't hurt performance on smooth water too much.

We recommend people set up their ski to the conditions they NORMALLY ride in.

It would be silly to install a top speed impeller, grate, and ride plate for ski that sees 3' waves or bigger. It would never be in the water enough to reach top speed.

The beauty of Polaris is the simplicity. You CAN have different grates for each water condition, and swap them out with only 1 screw change and a litle silicone.

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    I'll have to look again, I saw a Fischer double scoop for rough water for $40 the other day and it was new on Ebay. I personally use the R&D 3rd vein intake grate. it doesn't hurt top end any (maybe slight better) and definately holeshots faster on the sltx and in rough works awesome!

Here is the link for the fischer intake grate for $40
    http://cgi.ebay.com/POLARIS-ALL-THRU...item35a184ef3d

This is the one i use after reading all the compliments it has had. everybody rated it the highest!
    http://cgi.ebay.com/POLARIS-HURRICAN...item2e9fa42131
    Last edited by 96sltx1050; 10-17-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: found ebay link

+1
    I guess the stock one is fine for smooth water and the R and D for waves and rough water riding. we get both here on the lake. Good, now i have a little more info to choose one, thx .

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The R&D '650' intake grate seems to be the go-to grate for most of us.

The is also a '750SL' version of the R&D grate, and a variation with three bars that was stock on the Pro race models.

Buy American or Learn To Read This: >^$"#[email protected]*$:?</
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The R&D '650' intake grate seems to be the go-to grate for most of us.

The is also a '750SL' version of the R&D grate, and a variation with three bars that was stock on the Pro race models.
    Go back to my earlier post, i posted ebay ad for the 3rd vein polaris pro intake. it is overpriced though i believe for a used one But i will vouch it works awesome

Also remember that intake grates will work on all Polaris 94-2000+ skis except the huricane and octane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information