Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is antifreeze necessary?

Getting ready to put my 05 rxp up for the winter and im wondering if I have to fill the exhaust with antifreeze? I live in nor cal, and the ski will be garaged, so there is no risk of freezing. Also is it alright to have the fuel tank almost empty? Its at 2 bars, i was just planning on putting a little sta-bil in there and run the motor. And as far as everything else goes, just fog the injectors and cylinder with....? I heard tranny fluid is ok to use. Thanks guys

Banned User
    no u should be ok but fog with some sort of storage spray.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    You should be ok without anti freeze. We don't usually winterize here since we're crazy bastards and sometimes ride in january. You can use a air hose to blow out the water lines. The only things in danger are the IC and exhaust manifold if it freezes. As far as the fuel goes, i wouldn't add any. Just add a little stabil and run it some. That way in the spring you can fill it with fresh stuff. Stabil or not gas can still get crappy and i feel better being able to add some fresh gas to dilute the stabil and old gas in the spring. Don't forget to fog the cylinders! It's the easiest thing to do and the MOST important part.

What do you guys usually use to fog? And does the antifreeze need to be drained and replaced before the season or is that done at around 100 hours? Thanks bros

Intercooler

What is the best way to winterize the intercooler and exhaust manifold? I've already pumped antifreeze through the flush inlet but am concerned this doesn't protect the intercooler and exhaust manifold. Thank you.

Nonstop, all day, everyday. 01xdime's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by killerkali View Post
    What do you guys usually use to fog? And does the antifreeze need to be drained and replaced before the season or is that done at around 100 hours? Thanks bros
    You're local autoparts store or marine store should have engine fogging oil. Shouldn't matter what brand. As far as the coolant in the closed loop system i would leave it alone. You can change it if it'll make you feel better but in my opinion that stuff should last 300 hours or more.

Quote Originally Posted by YuCrew View Post
    What is the best way to winterize the intercooler and exhaust manifold? I've already pumped antifreeze through the flush inlet but am concerned this doesn't protect the intercooler and exhaust manifold. Thank you.
    If you pumped antifreeze throught the flush port until it was coming out of the pump then you are fine. The flush port is hooked to the exhaust which in turn back flushes to the IC.

I just bought a cheap-o $12 fountain pump from harbor freight to pump my AF through the flush port. It worked great.

How much fogging oil do you guys spray in each cylinder? The instructions on the Seadoo storage oil say to give each cylinder a 15 second spray. I just thought that seemed like a lot.

Thanks

Awesome thanks guys. 1 last question, im at 50 hours now so should i change the oil now or in the beginning of summer, and is there any other maintenance that has to be done at 50 hours?

Banned User
    +1
    My method is to take the outlet of my strainer and blow air through it unit it pushes all the water out. THEN pour antifreeze down until it starts to seep out the pump...a quick hit with the air hose again, DONE!

ALSO, do not let antifree sit in your strainer...remove the bowl entirely...as antifreeze will eat the acrylic
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58915

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by killerkali View Post
    Awesome thanks guys. 1 last question, im at 50 hours now so should i change the oil now or in the beginning of summer, and is there any other maintenance that has to be done at 50 hours?

Thats a matter of preference, but if you are doen for the year, just get the parts needed this winter and you should be good. Make it part of your spring stuff before you ride.

OH, pull the battery, put it in a warm place in the house...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information