HELP: Splitting crankcase & how to clean parts properly

I am ready to split the crankcase on my 650.

what is the best way to actually do that, once the bottom bolts are removed? the manual just says do it, but it doesn't say how, and now is not the time for an amateur to half-ass it.

other questions:

what is the best way to clean out the water passages? they are in severe need of cleaning.

what should I be using to clean the parts in general? the manual says to use solvent, but that's pretty vague. remember, I have never done anything like this before, so please do not assume simple info will be known.

+1
    http://www.sbtontheweb.com/pdfs/p650750780.pdf
    This should answer just about all your questions rebuilding your 650. Nice pictures and descriptions. Even with RED arrows to help even more.
    Depends how deep your getting into this project. Some guys take off all the rubber and paper gaskets and soak the metal parts in carb cleaner. You can buy a gallon container of it.
    Some even take all the paint off the parts with stripper and re-paint also. Some cleaners will take off the blue paint!. Carb cleaner spray or even brake clean works well for getting debris out of orfices.
    Compressed air would work well also. Just be sure to remove all the paper and gaskets and diaphrams and rubber nipples off stuff before spraying or soaking things. some even use small wire to clean out tiny orfices if plugged. use soft metal like a strand of copper wire for small stuff so it wont scratch anything.
    Then, if you like, you could wrap parts in terry cloth as you go spraying everything WD-40 as you go to prevent rusting. Actually the cases are fine, they are aluminum!. Most parts on the ski are!. Just the crank really along with any metal parts from the carb.
    Double check that all the bolts are out of the cases before you split them. even hidden ones! Count the bolts against the pictures in the PDF>
    Tap a small screwdriver where they meet and lighty tap between them. You should see something open a little. If not look to see if anything is still connected. Then try a different spot. it should open up fairly easily.
    Hope this helps!

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Whatever you do, don't pry on any machined surface. If you screw up a gasket surface, you will have a heck of a time getting it to seal again. I just pulled mine apart with my hands. Push down on the case and pull up on the crank or something like that, I can't remember exactly how I actually pulled it apart. I just know it was pretty easy.

ah ok I had not expected that they might come apart by hand. I suspected that I should not be doing blind prying, hence the post.

I am incredibly nervous about doing this part for some reason, so I really want to be as prepared as I can be.

bowsniper, as I am rebuilding the entire engine, I definitely want to clean everything. I did not know you could get carb cleaner by the gallon, so maybe I will go that route.

anyone happen to know what paint color the engine is? while I do not plan on media blasting the engine and painting from scratch, touch-ups definitely wouldn't hurt.

=====

edit: got some great info in my engine rebuild thread, I have the info I need now thanks!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Ford blue is the closest in color for engine paint.

+1
    Before you go with that gallon. it is expensive and not sure if it's penny-wise to buy so much for just 1 rebuild. These carbs and engine parts are not usually that gunked up and trashed like some carbs iv'e seen on cars.
    Also. just don't throw everything in there. The blue may come right off and make a horrendous mess in that gallon of cleaner. I'm almost positive it will take the blue off if not all of it.
    Go to murrays auto parts and buy a thing called Tal-strip.5.99/can Paint stripper. This stuff is incrediable. Just spray it on the painted surfaces and almost immediately the paint starts to bubble and almost fall off by it'self. then take a can of starting fluid or brake clean and blow off the remaining paint still there. to wipe it off is a joke.lol
    Then you can disassemble a freshed stripped case or whatever with zero paint left. Much easier. If your going to go this route. I'm gonna strip mine and paint them red white and blue like in the avatar that someone on here has! Made in the USA!

On the starter side of the cases there are tabs on the top and bottom, I usually use them to pry the cases apart.i am pretty sure thats what they are there for. never pry between the cases on the mating surfaces.

thanks for the info guys. I think I am good now.

I have no intention of removing the paint that is already on the engine, that is simply more work than I care for on this project. I am going to clean the parts as best I can and merely touch up the paint.

I realize this is not the ideal solution, but I picked my battles on this, and painting and body work was definitely NOT something I wanted to do...totally out of my comfort zone. it was a stretch just to wrap my brain around rebuilding the engine as it was, and I turned it into a mental exercise just to make it interesting for me. I am a computer geek, not a body shop tech, dammit!

Thread Information