Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Which 2-stroke oil?

Just got my first watercraft with gas exhaust valves...so what 2-stroke oil do you guys recommend with them? I'm thinking Amsoil interceptor even though I am running pre-mix...I know dominator will work but I want the best rust protection with the least amount of smoking. Any other brands out there well suited for gas valves? I was thinking that I have a couple Polaris snowmobiles which have gas exhaust valves. I use the Polaris Gold oil which is full syn. and made for them. So I was thinking I could just use this stuff as I've been happy with it so far and I will continue to use it for the snowmobiles. Thanks!

Banned User
    Amsoil Interceptor works very well in terms of keeping the powervalves (and everything else) clean. I love the stuff...

Seriously, Citgo Sea and Snow. I've used all of the popular brands (Amsoil, various Polaris, Redline, Maxxima, Klotz, Spectro, and a few others)..and I'm sticking with this. I've used it for years in my snowmobiles, and is all I've used in my Virage and GPR. Its cheap, clean burning, low smoke, doesn't burn my eyes, low deposits, and prevents rust during storage. I have converted lots of die hard high dollar synthetic users over the years...haven't seen an oil related failure yet. FWIW, I did like the Polaris VES oil too...just wayyy to expensive...Best smelling oil I've ever used.

An oils primary job is to lubricate the engine, not keep the valves clean. Some oils use solvents to help keep the valves clean...but the more solvents, the less actual "oil" there is to lubricate the motor. Also, solvents will evaporate, and leave engine parts dry, during storage. With that said, if you're going to use Amsoil in your ski, use Dominator...I don't personally like Interceptor in a high output motor (I know this will ruffle some feathers, but it's based on lots of testing done over several years). PM me if you want more detailed info on this. I don't usually talk about it out in the open, since I usually receive nasty messages about it.

Im going to tell you before the search enforcers do.... do a search its been discussed several times, but interceptor is great stuff.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    An oils primary job is to lubricate the engine, not keep the valves clean. Some oils use solvents to help keep the valves clean...but the more solvents, the less actual "oil" there is to lubricate the motor. Also, solvents will evaporate, and leave engine parts dry, during storage. With that said, if you're going to use Amsoil in your ski, use Dominator...I don't personally like Interceptor in a high output motor (I know this will ruffle some feathers, but it's based on lots of testing done over several years). PM me if you want more detailed info on this. I don't usually talk about it out in the open, since I usually receive nasty messages about it.
    No nasty messages. I'd like to hear more about your experience. It makes sense that high levels of detergents can wash some of the oil off the cylinder walls (a main reason I refuse to use MMO), but most modern synthetics have detergent additives and they seem to perform well. I haven't heard of oil related issues with Interceptor. Dominator is a racing oil, so I'm not sure it's warranted in a recreational use ski.

I've used various two stroke oils and I think most of them do a good job of protecting the engine, but the deposits left by petroleum and bean oils on the piston crowns, power valves, and even the spark plugs is just insane.

Good read
    http://www.cfisher.com/oildebate.html

If science could develop a base oil that would not thermally decompose (burn) until 1600 deg/f and not change in viscosity for –40 to 600 deg/f and not pollute the water or air, we would not need any additives in the base oil. Wouldn’t it be nice if all the oil collected in the expansion chamber body stayed in the same pristine state it went into the engine? We could simply recycle it. Well this isn’t going to happen in our lifetime (sorry, not even you younger guys will ever see this). Lubrication science is just not there yet. Additives are combined with the base oil to fix certain faults with the base oil or stretch the limits of the base oil in some cases. Additives are complex chemicals that account for most of the cost of a bottle of 2-stroke oil. Additives for 2-stroke oils fall into several general categories: Detergent/Dispersants, Antiwear agents, Biodegradability components, and antioxidants. Since the lubricating oil must burn as part of the combustion process in a 2-stroke engine, the residue resulting from this combustion process must be swept away after each firing stroke. If not, the residue (varnish, lacquer and other heavy hydrocarbon compounds) would build up and plug the exhaust port and stick the rings and power valve(s). Detergents/dispersants must be added to the oil to prevent this problem. The two types of detergents/dispersants most commonly used in 2-stoke oil formations are Ashless and Low Ash. Medium Ash and High Ash detergents are not used in 2-stoke oils. Ashless detergents are used in low temperature applications such as TCW3 oils where the ring land temperature is held below 300 deg/f. These detergents work well in engines where an excess of cooling capacity is available and power valves are not used.

Quote Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
    No nasty messages. I'd like to hear more about your experience. It makes sense that high levels of detergents can wash some of the oil off the cylinder walls, but most modern synthetics have detergent additives and they seem to perform well. I haven't heard of oil related issues with Interceptor.
    I'm probably going to regret getting into this lol...but here goes. My experience with Interceptor is mostly with snowmobiles. Yes, thousands of people have used it and claim to have had good success...Truthfully, most people don't know how an oil is actually working for them and don't know what to look for to tell them otherwise...They put gas and oil in, and ride it. Everybody is a cheerleader for the oil brand that they use.

When a crank bearing goes, they chalk it up to abuse, previous owner, long hours, etc. When I used Interceptor in a few engines and tore them down, I noticed that the metal parts were extremely dry. I also found lots of oil deposits on the underside of the piston crown, and just above the wrist pins. I also found lightly rusted crank shafts in a couple, from only a few weeks of on season winter storage. These were on engines that had a proper air/fuel mix, and were not run differently than they were on other oils. I started talking about my findings with others (enthusiats, pro engine builders, race team mechanics, etc.)...they too had seen the same thing. One person in particular rebuilds Polaris crankshafts for a living, and keeps a record of what oil people use, and what the cranks looked like...Take a guess what oil he doesn't recommend

I'm not trying to bag on this particular oil, honestly. I don't care what others use...I just wanted to share my experience with others...and it not just a "hey, this oil sucks, and my favorite is the best" type of thing...I had a little bit of an obsession for a while with trying every kind of oil I could get my hands on, taking the engines apart, and documenting what I found.

Also keep in mind, that Interceptor is NOT API, ISO, or JASO Certified...sure, they claim its because its not necessary, and will cost too much...take that one as you see fit...

Banned User
    ok, but Citgo? How about Shell (2T) or Mobil 1 Racing (now discontinued)?

How many engines have you seen stripped down with Dominator?

Quote Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
    ok, but Citgo? How about Shell (2T) or Mobil?
    I liked Mobil MX2T, but it's no longer available...and it cost a fortune, for the amount I used in a year, between all of my 2 strokers. Shell also makes decent oil, but their "Advance" product is not easily found in the US. I had to get some from Canada when I tried it. I know people don't like Citgo because of Hugo, but the stuff is still produced in the U.S.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    I'm probably going to regret getting into this lol...but here goes. My experience with Interceptor is mostly with snowmobiles. Yes, thousands of people have used it and claim to have had good success...Truthfully, most people don't know how an oil is actually working for them and don't know what to look for to tell them otherwise...They put gas and oil in, and ride it. Everybody is a cheerleader for the oil brand that they use.

When a crank bearing goes, they chalk it up to abuse, previous owner, long hours, etc. When I used Interceptor in a few engines and tore them down, I noticed that the metal parts were extremely dry. I also found lots of oil deposits on the underside of the piston crown, and just above the wrist pins. I also found lightly rusted crank shafts in a couple, from only a few weeks of on season winter storage. These were on engines that had a proper air/fuel mix, and were not run differently than they were on other oils. I started talking about my findings with others (enthusiats, pro engine builders, race team mechanics, etc.)...they too had seen the same thing. One person in particular rebuilds Polaris crankshafts for a living, and keeps a record of what oil people use, and what the cranks looked like...Take a guess what oil he doesn't recommend

I'm not trying to bag on this particular oil, honestly. I don't care what others use...I just wanted to share my experience with others...and it not just a "hey, this oil sucks, and my favorite is the best" type of thing...I had a little bit of an obsession for a while with trying every kind of oil I could get my hands on, taking the engines apart, and documenting what I found.

Also keep in mind, that Interceptor is NOT API, ISO, or JASO Certified...sure, they claim its because its not necessary, and will cost too much...take that one as you see fit...
    I like this guy.

You get any nasty mail, send me some. I am always up for a good debate on this "stuff".

Your last paragraph says it all. Or maybe I should say says nothing about the oil company in question.

Banned User
    I'd prefer to use a full synthetic, which Sea and Snow isn't....perhaps I'll try Dominator

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information