Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best Battery Spec

Im new to jet ski's having only just bought it this weekend, this forum is brilliant

My battery needs replacing on my 780 SLT its a 1997 whats the best spec for the battery on this model??

thanks again
    Neil

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

I suggest the best battery is a factory sealed AGM type (Absorbed Glass Mat), such as the Odyssey PC625. No liquid acid to leak or vent, long life, doesn't lose its charge, withstands vibration.

I currently use the East-Penn Deka ETX16LM, but next time around it will be the Odyssey batteries.

Available from multiple sources.

Click below for lots of good info

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

I suggest the best battery is a sealed AGM type (Absorbed Glass Mat), such as the Odyssey PC625. No liquid acid to leak or vent, long life, doesn't lose its charge, withstands vibration.

I currently use the East-Penn Deka ETX16LM, but next time around it will be the Odyssey batteries.

Available from multiple sources.

Click below for lots of good info
    thank you, ill see whats availble in the UK i have seen the AGM listed on the batterys in the store

thanks
    Neil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    thank you, I'll see whats available in the UK

I have seen the AGM listed on the batteries in the store...
    Be sure to select a factory sealed AGM battery, not one that has the acid added later on.

Be sure to select a factory sealed AGM battery, not one that has the acid added later on.
    will do, thanks

Odyssey the only way to go !!!!

http://www.batterymart.comI just got the Odyssey pc625 and it is a Drycell not an AGM, no liquid acid in it. Best price at Batterymart.com $92.00 shipped.

84.68 shipped at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000BYEXO

I bought 2.

+1

Odyssey AGM 'dry' batteries

Quote Originally Posted by cwag911 View Post
    ...I just got the Odyssey pc625 and it is a Drycell not an AGM, no liquid acid in it...
    Welcome to the Hulk

Odyssey seems to suppress the actual battery chemistry and construction specifics in their marketing material, possibly because they want to differentiate themselves from other brands selling sealed AGM batteries.

I like the Odyssey brand AGM batteries because they seem to be very well made, not because they have some 'special' internal construction or chemistry. And I like the fact that they can be re-charged quickly without damage.

As far as I can tell, the Odyssey 'dry' batteries utilize the same starved electrolyte chemistry as other AGM batteries. Similar electrical specifications, similar weights, good lifespan.

Odyssey does like to use the marketing term 'dry', but they are no drier than any other factory sealed AGM battery. If you puncture the battery case, liquid acid will not leak out - this is where they get the 'dry' description from. This is also true of the other brand sealed AGM batteries.

One thing to keep in mind, AGM batteries (including Odyssey) require an AGM compatible charger or maintainer;
    Approved 12V Chargers for ODYSSEY Batteries

I am a little surprised to see Battery Tender not on the approved list

The ODYSSEY Owner's Manual cautions against charging the battery too slowly if it has been deeply discharged. They recommend a recharge current minimum of 40% of the ten hour rating, which for the PC625 rated at 17AH means a minimum charge current of 6.8 Amps.

This is different from regular lead-acid batteries, which can be damaged if they are re-charged too quickly.

From the Enersys company's Odyssey web site;

Q. Are these a gel cell? What’s the difference?

...the ODYSSEY battery is NOT a gel cell. It is an absorbed electrolyte type battery, meaning that there is no free acid inside the battery; all of the acid is kept absorbed in the glass mat separators. These separators serve to keep the positive and negative plates apart. The key difference between the gel cell and the absorbed glass mat (AGM) cell lies in the fact that in the AGM cell all of the electrolyte is in the separator, whereas in the gel cell the acid is within the cells in a gel form. In fact, if the ODYSSEY battery were to split open, there would be no acid spillage!

Q. Is the ODYSSEY® battery a completely dry battery?

A. Because the ODYSSEY battery has no free acid inside, it is covered under the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) unregulated "wet nonspillable wet electric storage batteries" classification and International Air Transport Association (IATA) "unrestricted" air shipments categories. These batteries may be shipped completely worry-free.

Q. What is so special about pure lead tin technology?
    Is it a new technology?

A. While the answer to the first part of the question requires a detailed response, the short answer is that the extremely high purity (99.99%) of our raw materials makes our product very special. The technology is not new; the valve regulated lead recombinant technology was invented and patented by us back in 1973.

Q. Are these Ni-Cd batteries? Why doesn’t somebody make these in Ni-Cd? Wouldn’t they charge faster with Ni-Cd?

A. No, the ODYSSEY battery is NOT a Ni-Cd battery; it is an absorbed (starved) electrolyte valve regulated lead battery. In general, nickel cadmium batteries are much more expensive to manufacture and recycle, so they are far less cost effective than a lead acid product.

A nickel cadmium battery would charge faster than a conventional lead acid battery; however, the ODYSSEY battery is NOT a conventional battery and its charge characteristics are somewhat similar to nickel cadmium batteries.

In fact, with a powerful enough charger, it is possible to bring ODYSSEY batteries to better than 95% state of charge in under 20 minutes! That is very comparable to the fast charge capabilities of a nickel cadmium product.

Why do you recommend this? Just curious...I specifically like the "customer filled" ones, because you are technically getting a BRAND NEW battery...doesn't matter if its been on the shelf for 2yrs or not. FWIW, I've been happy with the Wally World $80 EverStart Maxx AGMs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information