Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Anyone have advice on registering a ski without a title?

Several months ago I bought an '03 GPR hull from a forum member that I planned on using for a conversion project. I've since found a better hull & have a friend who is interested in buying it, but I lost the title & bill of sale. At first the seller seemed willing to help me get a replacement but now doesn't return calls or emails. The ski had never been registered in the seller's name & the SC registration office wouldn't give me the registered owner's name/address so I could contact him directly. According to him, he bought it from a friend who he sees frequently but never transferred the registration.

I am in FL & the hull is titled in SC. If I am unable to get a replacement title, is there any other way to register it so it will be legal to ride?

+1
    with all the theft going on in southern states? Best of luck! Be careful now days buying anything People are doing what ever it takes? I my self have come across the same situation. Lee

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mjh3ides View Post
    Several months ago I bought an '03 GPR hull from a forum member that I planned on using for a conversion project. I've since found a better hull & have a friend who is interested in buying it, but I lost the title & bill of sale. At first the seller seemed willing to help me get a replacement but now doesn't return calls or emails. The ski had never been registered in the seller's name & the SC registration office wouldn't give me the registered owner's name/address so I could contact him directly. According to him, he bought it from a friend who he sees frequently but never transferred the registration.

I am in FL & the hull is titled in SC. If I am unable to get a replacement title, is there any other way to register it so it will be legal to ride?
    Mark, I would go to a Palm Beach county license office and talk to them about your situation and see what they say.

If all else fails, if it's a forum member, buyer/seller feedback may work wonders.

Find the title.

Seriously, i think you'll have to have the guy you bought it from get a duplicate title. Then you'll have a title and then you'll have to get another bill of sale.

lost title

In NC I had to send a certified letter to the last registered owners adress and after 30 days with no response I sent in a copy of the certified letter sent to the wildlife office and in about 30 more days they titled it in my name !! Hope this helps, I know that all states are different !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    with all the theft going on in southern states? Best of luck! Be careful now days buying anything People are doing what ever it takes? I my self have come across the same situation. Lee
    I'm pretty sure it wsn't stolen since he provided me with the signed title. It was my stupid fault for losing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    Mark, I would go to a Palm Beach county license office and talk to them about your situation and see what they say.

If all else fails, if it's a forum member, buyer/seller feedback may work wonders.
    Done that. They said I need the title. I'm not gonna bash the guy since he held up his side of the deal by providing the title when I bought it. I was hoping there would be a way to register it as a home-built craft. I'm still trying to get a replacement but am mainly looking for a plan B option.

Quote Originally Posted by yow View Post
    In NC I had to send a certified letter to the last registered owners adress and after 30 days with no response I sent in a copy of the certified letter sent to the wildlife office and in about 30 more days they titled it in my name !! Hope this helps, I know that all states are different !!!
    Great info, thanks. Hopefully SC will do something similar. The person I spoke to at the registration office didn't mention anything like that, but I could tell she didn't want to offer much advice over the phone. I will send them a registered letter explaing the situation & hopefully they will at least provide me with the name & address of the registered owner.

+1
    You could try a storage or mechanics lien.

+1
    I had purchased a mobile home years back with no title for very cheap and I used a company to help track down the registered owner and had them sign it over to me but I had a bill of sale from who I had purchased it from. It cost me a few hundred dollars but ended up selling it for 3 times what I paid for it.

Try callng these people,

TITLE SERVICE FOR ANY VEHICLE , VESSEL - $350 (miami tampa)

Date: 2009-10-15, 1:07PM EDT
    Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

I CAN GET YOU A TITLE FOR MOST VEHICLES, CARS, BOATS, MOTORCYCLES, MOTOR HOMES. ANY LOST, MISPLACE, DESTROYED TITLE.
    WITH THE LAWS OF FLORIDA MECHANIC LIENS, ABANDONED AUTOMOBILES, RECOVERY COMPANYES. WE DO TITLES FROM DIFFERENT STATES ALSO $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ PRICES MAY VARY $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ CONTACT NUMBER IS 813-562-8584 ASK 4 KEVIN

+1
    Here is a company in S. Carolina,

http://www.getnewtitle.com/index.php...=94&Itemid=198

+1
    FL is no joke when it comes to that stuff. I had to drive to back to PA from Orlando to get the guy to get a duplicate...they "FL" would not even consider anything but that. I had no way to get in touch other then knowing where he lived. I paid 4k and could not ride the ski for 2 months until I found the Cat...

GOod luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information