Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Just bought an FZR

Hi everyone!

I'm just introducing myself to the forum.
    After much reading here on greenhulk and research I am a proud owner of a new fzr as of last weekend.

Already put roughly 9 hours on it on 2 days of riding and having a blast on it.

I hope to one day understand all the information that's on the forum and hope to see some of the local members on the water to ride together.

Now, my first question... I already took it out to the surf and did some pretty hard riding on both the hull and the engine but never would have expected the warning light to come on at the end of the day along with a very annoying continuous beep.

I did drain the ski and noticed that a sh#t loads of water came out (but account that to the riding style...).
    Was the ski warning from the water in hull? or sign of something else? It has just under 9 hours on it.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by --DK-- View Post
    Hi everyone!

I'm just introducing myself to the forum.
    After much reading here on greenhulk and research I am a proud owner of a new fzr as of last weekend.

Already put roughly 9 hours on it on 2 days of riding and having a blast on it.

I hope to one day understand all the information that's on the forum and hope to see some of the local members on the water to ride together.

Now, my first question... I already took it out to the surf and did some pretty hard riding on both the hull and the engine but never would have expected the warning light to come on at the end of the day along with a very annoying continuous beep.

I did drain the ski and noticed that a sh#t loads of water came out (but account that to the riding style...).
    Was the ski warning from the water in hull? or sign of something else? It has just under 9 hours on it.
    Low fuel warning......?????

nah, I always top-up the fuel tank at the end of the day.

I was thinking maybe perhaps it was an overheating problem?
    What I did was pulled up on top of the floating dock and connected the flush hose immediately so I didn't have to turn the engine off in between. I did notice that an amount of steam (smoke?!?) did rise from the back once the hose was connected.

How long does it usually take for the ski to overheat without water going through the cooling system?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by --DK-- View Post
    nah, I always top-up the fuel tank at the end of the day.

I was thinking maybe perhaps it was an overheating problem?
    What I did was pulled up on top of the floating dock and connected the flush hose immediately so I didn't have to turn the engine off in between. I did notice that an amount of steam (smoke?!?) did rise from the back once the hose was connected.

How long does it usually take for the ski to overheat without water going through the cooling system?
    Welcome to the forum. Plenty of information on here and if you don't see what you want immediately, the search function helps.

I don't think any of us want to get to the beep without water running through the engine. When you say immedately, that could have been too much time.

Better thing to do is pull up on the floating dock, shut it off, hook up the hose, start the engine and then turn the water on. Make sure you turn the water off before shutting the engine off.

+1
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the ski

+1
    Welcome to the forum DK. It may have been an overheat warning. Since you said you had a lot of water in the ski, do a check of your cooling hoses. I've heard a few stories of them coming loose. If the hoses are all good, make sure you have water coming out the pissers when you put it back in the water. Congratz on the new ride.

Thanks Jerry, I've just sent you an email about the grate and the cover order.... how silly thinking I was keeping it stock for a while....

I always wondered about that whole 'no water while engine off' advice. Isn't the water just 'circulating' through the cooling system and never actually going internally in the engine itself? It's not like the old engine oil scenario where you could actually drain the oil faster when the engine was running (not recommended...) since the oil was actually internally involved in the engine function. I thought the whole flushing business was merely for the cooling system.

... does this mean I shouldn't shut the engine off from mid-flight? where water would still be going through the cooling system?
    Was thinking it was the whole 'manufacturer' protocol, similar to the easy break-in recommendation.... anyone have thoughts? Have I got the whole flushing concept fundamentally wrong?

+1
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ski.

I believe the water from the hose enters the engine through the exhaust if the engine is not running.

Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ski.

I believe the water from the hose enters the engine through the exhaust if the engine is not running.
    True..very true...

Took the ski out today for a short session and glad to hear the warning beep and light to be gone now.

But at the end I made sure that less than 5 seconds was spent with the engine on before connecting the hose & water however the warning light and beep came back on WHILE the motor was being flushed. Is this still a over-heating warning? Has anyone had the warning light and beep come on whilst flushing the engine?

Hope I didn't permanently damage something from before.... could I have made it easier for the ski to overheat? More prone to building heat?

Any expertise to spare?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information