Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    derbyshire
    Posts
    76

    dead xp limited help please

    99 xpl cut out yesterday whilst riding and was completly dead. When putting the key on was dead, not even beeps. Found it was 2 fuses blown.. 1 in the top fuse box and 1 in the bottom box at the front.when i replaced them it fired up again but the speedo was going up and down. After cutting it out it went dead again but the fuses seem fine still. Im thinking either a loose or broken wire?? Any idea's ?


  2. #2
    KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    1,391
    +1
    1
    I assume it was the two 15amp (blue) fuses that were blown.

    Check the grounds since that does not require a lot of work. That would be at the battery, to the block (under the starter-not so easy that one, but they corrode there and are out of sight), and the three (I think) small grounds on the side of the mag cover right in front of the air box.

    Have you charged the battery at more than 2amps (while hooked to the boat) or jump started it anytime recently?

    If not, from what you describe, I kind of suspect that you may have a piece of flywheel or starter drive tooth shorting out the mag. Hopefully it has not damaged the MPEM (though the Speedo's actions do not bode well in that regard).

    If all the grounds are good then you will need to pull the front cover off to check the magneto out (unless you have the test harness from SD).

    The MPEM itself could have just failed, but often something kills them. If you have to get one you do not want to risk such an expensive part by not checking the mag.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    derbyshire
    Posts
    76
    yes it was the 2 15amp fuses. i changed them ant it fired up straight away then after pullimg the key off it went dead again. i use the ski every weekend. checked the battery earth and thats fine. when i changed the fuses i had the hood up and it fired up. the hood was when i tried the start it the second time and it was dead. thinking there could be a broken wire in the hood somewhere. will be looking at it this weekend so as may ideas as pos needed cheers

  4. #4
    KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    1,391
    +1
    1
    None of the wires in the hood have anything to do with the charging system. The 15amp fuses are in the charging circut.

    You could have a bad wire in the DESS system, but that should not have blown the 15s.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    derbyshire
    Posts
    76
    whats the best way to check the wiring? dont want to damage anything else. cheers

  6. #6
    race24x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fayette, Maine
    Posts
    1,005
    TTT

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    derbyshire
    Posts
    76
    ???

  8. #8
    race24x's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Fayette, Maine
    Posts
    1,005
    I am following along because I had this exact same issue with mine. I tightened the ground and added another ground from the battery to the block and it seems to be OK, but I have only ridden it once more after the issue. Now they are winterized and I am considering selling both to get one 4 stroke. I just wanted to see what you found with yours.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    derbyshire
    Posts
    76
    checked all the grounds and still got the same problem. Just ordered a new mpem so will see how i get now with that. Need cheaper hobbies

  10. #10
    KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Aiken, SC
    Posts
    1,391
    +1
    1
    Well, the last thing you posted was that you thought it was in the hood wiring and then nothing else.

    I figured that once you realized that the hood wiring could not blow the charging fuses you would ask what would blow the charging fuses. It could be the MPEM, yes, but it could also be the Mag.

    You did try unplugging the Mag plug and sticking the key on and hitting the start button to see if the fuses/es blow, right? It will do everything but run with the Mag plug out of it and if that makes it stop blowing fuses then the short is most likely in the Mag.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1998 XP Limited help please!!!
    By Csfinch in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-29-2016, 01:43 PM
  2. Carb setup on 94 xp, need help please.
    By nathan634 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2011, 03:40 PM
  3. 2001 Xp tuning help please
    By jwick86 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 05-07-2009, 06:17 PM
  4. Need Help! 1998 XP LIMITED wont start
    By crunkz06 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
  5. Accelerator pump 951 seadoo gtx limited help please
    By hondarepoman in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •