Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

dead xp limited help please

99 xpl cut out yesterday whilst riding and was completly dead. When putting the key on was dead, not even beeps. Found it was 2 fuses blown.. 1 in the top fuse box and 1 in the bottom box at the front.when i replaced them it fired up again but the speedo was going up and down. After cutting it out it went dead again but the fuses seem fine still. Im thinking either a loose or broken wire?? Any idea's ?

+1
    I assume it was the two 15amp (blue) fuses that were blown.

Check the grounds since that does not require a lot of work. That would be at the battery, to the block (under the starter-not so easy that one, but they corrode there and are out of sight), and the three (I think) small grounds on the side of the mag cover right in front of the air box.

Have you charged the battery at more than 2amps (while hooked to the boat) or jump started it anytime recently?

If not, from what you describe, I kind of suspect that you may have a piece of flywheel or starter drive tooth shorting out the mag. Hopefully it has not damaged the MPEM (though the Speedo's actions do not bode well in that regard).

If all the grounds are good then you will need to pull the front cover off to check the magneto out (unless you have the test harness from SD).

The MPEM itself could have just failed, but often something kills them. If you have to get one you do not want to risk such an expensive part by not checking the mag.

yes it was the 2 15amp fuses. i changed them ant it fired up straight away then after pullimg the key off it went dead again. i use the ski every weekend. checked the battery earth and thats fine. when i changed the fuses i had the hood up and it fired up. the hood was when i tried the start it the second time and it was dead. thinking there could be a broken wire in the hood somewhere. will be looking at it this weekend so as may ideas as pos needed cheers

+1
    None of the wires in the hood have anything to do with the charging system. The 15amp fuses are in the charging circut.

You could have a bad wire in the DESS system, but that should not have blown the 15s.

whats the best way to check the wiring? dont want to damage anything else. cheers

TTT

???

I am following along because I had this exact same issue with mine. I tightened the ground and added another ground from the battery to the block and it seems to be OK, but I have only ridden it once more after the issue. Now they are winterized and I am considering selling both to get one 4 stroke. I just wanted to see what you found with yours.

checked all the grounds and still got the same problem. Just ordered a new mpem so will see how i get now with that. Need cheaper hobbies

+1
    Well, the last thing you posted was that you thought it was in the hood wiring and then nothing else.

I figured that once you realized that the hood wiring could not blow the charging fuses you would ask what would blow the charging fuses. It could be the MPEM, yes, but it could also be the Mag.

You did try unplugging the Mag plug and sticking the key on and hitting the start button to see if the fuses/es blow, right? It will do everything but run with the Mag plug out of it and if that makes it stop blowing fuses then the short is most likely in the Mag.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information