Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool 2004 Polaris MSX 110

Hi everyone. I just purchased a MXS 110 with 78.0 hours on it. It is not running as the owner didn't add stablizer to the gas, I hope. I just jumped in as usual before I did any checking, but I got the jet ski at a good price, so I am hoping I can get it running myself. I did notice a small chunk that is missing from the bottom on the ski, about a foot in from the back, just under that stabalizing piece on the side of the ski. The damage is the size of a dime. It doesn't appear to have gone thru, but the gel-coat is missing and I can see the figerglass, but even that doesn't appear to be damaged. I was wondering if I could just re-gel-coat that spot?? I am pretty handy for a "lady" and am excited about this sport.

The ski seems to be in pretty good shape, no rust in the engine area, etc. As I said, I just jumped off the cliff and here I am. Thanks for any advice you can supply. Even about where to start??? I guess getting the old gas out would be first on the list too.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Unless the gasoline was absolutely ancient, that would not stop the engine from running.

Your MSX 110 has a Weber turbo-charged engine inside. Polaris only made Weber powered watercraft (MSX 110 and MSX 150) for one year, 2004.

You will need to do some investigation and diagnostics. These engines are complex.

There are a few common issues which you should read up on, in addition to resolving your no-start issue (or whatever it is that is the current problem).

Polaris MSX 150, MSX 110

When these MSX four stroke machines are running well, owners tend to be very happy with them. They look good, run fast, and sip fuel (for a PWC).

Are you familiar with PWC in general, or diagnostics/repair work?

Cool

Hi. Thanks for the reply. No. This is my first jet ski. I have worked on my motorcycle with success. But I guess I have my work cut out for me. Will will do a lot of reading.

My hull grab bar has some cracks in it too, which I dont like. Can these be repaired or is it best to just spring for a new one?
    Jean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetter View Post
    ...My hull grab bar has some cracks in it too, which I don't like.

Can these be repaired or is it best to just spring for a new one?
    Jean
    There are also sources of good used parts, including folks who are parting out (dis-assembling) entire machines.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Sometimes you can find parts and parted out models in the Polaris Classifieds
    New parts are available from a number of online Polaris parts OEM sources, and your local Polaris dealer (if you have one).

Parts diagrams and part number cross references can be found here;
    Polaris Industries Parts cross-reference and diagrams

Other than the engine and impeller, the three MSX models have the same body and hull parts;
    MSX 110, MSX 150, and MSX 140.

Sometimes the only difference between part numbers for the same part will be the color

Polaris PWC related information

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk,K447 is one of our local expert on your style ski and I beleve has become one of the best troubleshooting techs in the country.
    I'll let him handle the fancy stuff.

The hull can be repaired and should,Scuffs are fine,but if you see fiberglass opened up,it should be addressed,Alot of boat places carry a Gelcoat repair kit with a small amount of resin,hardner,and it comes in different colors. Just mix,apply and then sand smooth,using finer sandpaper till you can polish it,if you want to go that far and fancy.

one of the first things to check for is Compressin with a gauge,check for spark,and fuel. Then you will have the basic bases covered,Keep us up to date as you go along.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    ...local expert on your style ski...
    On the Weber engines, there are others who hold that rank, not me

Jay, Randy, Kosh, Desperado, to name a few, and we have several knowledgeable and helpful MSX 150 owners around here too

+1
    Welcome,

You will love your MSX

The seat is repairable, I have two repairs that are holding up fine. When you bolt it back down a little sealant to seal up the bolt holes wont hurt, I had salt water dripping on my ECM when the cracks were present.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108574

First things make sure that battery is a good one.

Cheers

SPEED KILLS, BUT YOU GET THERE QUICKER Keddano's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    On the Weber engines, there are others who hold that rank, not me

Jay, Randy, Kosh, Desperado, to name a few, and we have several knowledgeable and helpful MSX 150 owners around here too
    I was thinking the MSX 140's, I stand corrected and sorry to the Other guys,They are the 110 and 140 Masters.

MSX 110

Hey, thank you very much to all. The websites for parts is a good thing to have. Yea. And I will get the gel-coat repair kit. Yes, I don't want that to get worse and fixing it now will be the right thing to do.

The handle has cracks in four places. I checked online and it's about $250 for a new one, cheapest I could find. Think I will wait to see if I get it running first before adding more expense to it. I might just try to repair it and add sealant too. Hummm. But I will check the websites you supplied. This is a good thing.

And yup, the battery is kaput. Will get a new one once I start to dive into this thing. The gas is old, how old I don't know, but I suspect at least a year old, so out it goes.

Again, thanks for your help. Will advise as I get deeper involved with my MSX.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Keddano View Post
    I was thinking the MSX 140's, I stand corrected and sorry to the Other guys,They are the 110 and 140 Masters.

Wow! thanks for the kind words...If you think I know what I am talking about with 110/150's you should ask me about D.I's! I have been working and repairing them since 99 on polaris watercraft. I can figure out a problem with a D.I. with my eyes closed, hands behind my back and telling Keddano what to do! LOL!!!!!

D.I. boats are the easiest fuel injected set-up ever!!!! inside of a hour I could get anyone that has a good basic understanding of a engine and electronics and can read a meter comfortable to work on these boats!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information