Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

A review with Riva stage 1, Riva I/C and BOV, 13/25, pwr shot, Riva nozzle - 74.4 mph

A review with new set up = Riva stage 1, Riva I/C, 13/25, powershot, Riva Nozzle (see all mods in signature)

Air - 87, water 82, boost = 10 lbs
    Finally got to test my "stuff". I was using the 83m nozzle ring. I warmed it up then let her rip. Initial reaction was "holy shit". The ski just wanted to fly. At first I thought there was something wrong because it felt like the engine starting "missing" or "fluttering" from maybe 50 to top speed. After a few runs I realized I was all over the rev limiter - and I mean all over the rev limiter. My tach went straight to 7780 then dropping to 6600 as it continued to slam the limiter. Upon this realization I then switched nozzles to the 81m ring (I knew the 82m wasn't enough)and this put me right on the limiter - 7780 rpms....thank God for the interchangeable rings. I was still on the limiter at times but it was much, much better. I will say that the first day was the coolest (maybe 86-88 deg.) and continued getting hotter each day till the last day (100 deg.) I did notice the rpms dropping as it got hotter. At 100 degrees I was seeing 6680-7700 rpms with the 81m ring. I should have thrown the 82m ring on but didn't.
    Yes, there is cavitation out of the hole but not unacceptable to me.
    The ski absolutely rips. It accelerates to top speed with no slow down approaching top speed.... its just there (top speed) like right now! I suspect there is some cavitation from 50 to 74 as I can feel the limiter as it accelerates, not much but it is there.
    As I continued to ride I became aware of how critical rpm's are with regard to top speed. After awhile I knew what my GPS speed was going to be simply by looking at my rpm's.
    13/25 with 81m ring:

7780 = 74.4 mph, one click up, on R&D VTS cam
    7760 = 74.0 mph, same
    7720 = 73.7 mph, same
    7700 = 73.3 mph, same
    7680 = 73.1 mph, same

I started out with no shims on the R&D plate but quickly changed to 2 shims because of the porpoising. I could probably add one more as I would experience some porpoising on the low fuel buzzer.
    I originally had my Riva sponsons set at the most aggressive setting and eventually tried the neutral setting to see if I could pick up speed but did not notice a difference. I did notice chine walking in hard turns at full speed in neutral setting - not good. I prefer the most aggressive setting for the sponsons. 60+ mph hard turns is SICK! Ridiculous! Almost seems impossible that it can turn like that at that speed.
    I was able to ride my buddy's stock FZR to get a comparison - Not even close to the same ski. I know how fast and quick mine felt when it was stock - it was fast, but my ski now is a whole new monster.....night and day between stock and new set up.... "Holy chit" is all I can say.
    Of course, we raced (if you can call it that). In 10 seconds I was 100 feet ahead of him (I am guesstimating, of course), wasn't even close.
    I was hoping for 75 mph but, overall, very satisfied. I can see how an ecu and more rpms can get you close to 80 mph.... I guess thats next.
    Until another prop comes out I think this is a pretty good choice for this set up, however, the nozzle is an absolute must. As I said before, dialing in your rpm's is critical to top speed readings.

Thats just my take on it!

Gary

+1
    Nice results. Any plans to try the 83mm nozzle and add pitch?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mpower View Post
    nice results. Any plans to try the 83mm nozzle and add pitch?
    absolutely!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Nice results. Any plans to try the 83mm nozzle and add pitch?
    More than a 13/25?

Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    More than a 13/25?
    Hope somebody makes something by the time im throwing parts at my ski come spring.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    More than a 13/25?
    ....gonna have to talk to my mechanic 'bout this. Not sure what my options are....

+1
    congrats and nice speeds .. dont you just love these FZR

+1
    Congrats on the results and thanks for sharing.
    Nice to know you can get those speeds and accel out of a boat thats has a stock ECU.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    Initial reaction was "holy shit". The ski just wanted to fly. At first I thought there was something wrong because it felt like the engine starting "missing" or "fluttering" from maybe 50 to top speed. After a few runs I realized I was all over the rev limiter - and I mean all over the rev limiter. My tach went straight to 7780 then dropping to 6600 as it continued to slam the limiter.
    AWESOME Gary!!! Great results!

I know EXACTLY what you are saying about being on the limiter--I thought my ski was broke when I got the C3-11 and Powershot in the water the first time because of the missing from redline (I actually changed my plugs because of the miss).

I couldn't help but smile when reading about the nozzle. That's a necessity in my opinion (I don't have mine yet). I do have plans to install a 13/24 but that's not going to even be close to what I need without the nozzle at the air temps I am seeing (mid 50° F).

It's kind of funny--I never really "felt" any difference in the mods I did (maybe I'm numb?) that is until I got the SC wheel and Powershot. Then, as you say--Holy Chit!!!

Hopefully some of the Wise Ones on here give up their secrets on the pump...

crikies i say....Can't wait to get my mods bolted on..it's gonna be a long winter...Damn it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information