Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Plasma TV vs LED LCD??

So, I'm in the market for a new TV. I'm looking for biggest bang for my buck. I'd like to keep it around 3k, and 55" or larger. I've been looking a lot at the Plasma TV's, Panasonic 58V10 or 65V10. I can get EPP discounts, which is about 20% off Panny's.
    They are rated the top picture since Pioneer is no longer producing Plasma TV's. Samsung has a very nice 63" plasma TV as well, but I've read they "buzz" a lot, and its loud enough to make you annoyed. Picture quality (PQ) is excellent on these as well.
    TOP DOG Pioneer Kuro is no longer being produced, what's left is left. I saw an add today, Best buy has the Kuro 50" for 2k. You wont find a better picture than the Kuro's! My watching habits are broadcast Cable TV, some movies, some Gaming.

The LED LCD tv's are pricy right now, and they max out at 50, some 55", but at a STEEP cost 4k.
    I've compared the sets, the LED TV's look kinda fake to me. The movements are not natural as compared to Plasma.
    I know plasma produces lots of heat, and more energy to run them, but man the PQ is the best out there! Looking for input from plasma owners on the new V10, or Samsung owners on their Plasma TV's, as well as +50" LED LCD tv owners. Good, bad, or indifferent….
    How do you like your set?

+1
    Samsungs have got a great picture quality right now,
    I would love to upgrade my set, the new ones look really sharp.

My old Sony is one of the first generation RP widescreens to get to the U.S. market; it's 57 inches and about 9 years old, picture was finally starting to go soft so I just recently upgraded my cables and added a Samsung Blu-Ray player; I was stunned; much better overall and now I can watch HD discs the player was less than $200 bucks. I also got a switcher and finally started viewing my XBox360 in hi-def, which is much better too. So for right now I'm pretty pleased without having to throw a 3 or 4 grand at a new set.

I was talking to a technician who services these jumbo sets the other day; he told me Sony is going to last longest out of all of them, but he also said these new LCD sets (all brands) do not last as long as the older rear projection models; make sure you get an extended warranty on it.

+1
    I recently got a 50" LG Plasma and to me the picture quality is better then the 42" LCD I have.

+1
    I haven't had a chance to see an LED in person, but I hear they have a sick contrast ratio. The thing that sold me on LCD over plasma was brightness...IMO the plasma's are too dark. Plasmas also suffer from screen burn-in & are pretty much obsolete now that LCD technology has improved. Ghosting is almost unnoticeable on the newer 120hz LCD's & I think there are 240hz units available now. If you're looking for a 52 or 60", definately spend the extra money for a faster refresh rate if you go LCD, because ghosting is much more noticeable on larger sets. I bought a 60hz 42" Sharp Aquos almost 3 yrs ago & it's got a great picture & haven't had any issues with it, but if I were in the market today I would probably go with Samsung. They've got great PQ...IMO better than the Sony Bravias and cheaper. I recently bought a 36" Samsung for my bedroom & it has a much crisper PQ than my older Sharp.

+1
    I recently purchased the Samsung 46" LCD and love it. I also got the Blu-Ray player. Unreal. It's got all the numbers.... 120htz, 100,000:1 contrast, 1080P, 4 millisecond blah,blah,blah... and they look saaaaweeet!!!

All glass, stand and all.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basement 010.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	176.1 KB 
ID:	155465  

I like plasma personally, the colors are better IMO and the transfer rate is far superior to LCD. The problem is that plasma tvs run HOT and they are not as kind on your electric bill as an LCD. If you want to experience blu-ray to its fullest, I say go with a plasma.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    I like plasma personally, the colors are better IMO and the transfer rate is far superior to LCD. The problem is that plasma tvs run HOT and they are not as kind on your electric bill as an LCD. If you want to experience blu-ray to its fullest, I say go with a plasma.
    Where you're viewing plays a factor too. LCD's are superior in very well lit areas and Plasmas work better in the dark. Heavy gaming can "burn" the Plasmas too. (so I'm told)

i had custome curtians made as to reduce light in my TV room, so its dim in there. I agree, if the room is BRIGHT, then you need LED because Plasma is way dimmer. I'll need to do some research on my TV habits. I currently own a 60" RPTV. It's 10 yrs old, so I'm sure its not a gas saver! I'm thinking it should be a wash, but agian I need to look into it.
    Gotta agree with twelves...BD+Plasma=Unbeatable....

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Where you're viewing plays a factor too. LCD's are superior in very well lit areas and Plasmas work better in the dark. Heavy gaming can "burn" the Plasmas too. (so I'm told)

you are correct. LCD tvs have less of a glare on them in a bright room. I have a plasma tv in a sunroom-type addition onto my house and there are times where the glare is too much.

+1
    i would stick with LED LCD, i think plasmas days are numbered. I have and RGB LED LCD on my laptop, best damn picture i've ever seen!

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information