Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

how hard is it to split the two hull halfs?

i am going to pick up a donor ski for my x4 951 converision this weekend so its time to start planning this thing out. i will be using a 95xp which had the 717 motor in it so i have 3 motors to fiberglass in.

so like the title says, how hard is it to split the upper and lower half of the hull? i am also thinking of re-gel coating the hull, which is why i am asking.

+1
    That is some bad stuff they glue them together with. Perhaps someone has done it and will chime in.

My own opinion has been that in splitting them you would have to sacrifice one of the shells and then grind off the excess. This would have merrit if you were trying to make one out of two. If you intend to put the same two pieces back together I think the chances of success are slim since you are likely to damage/destroy one if not both of the shells.

I could be wrong...

+1
    yeah thats what i was afraid of. i was hoping that a steady hand with a saw-zaw and a chisle would work. i have read somewhere that it could be done but i think that was a gpr. it would make things soooo much easier, i think it would be worth the extra time and effort. not to mention save my back.lol

lets see what google finds...

+1
    for once my memory doesn't fail me. post # 13

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...eration&page=2

maybe i will test this on the donor ski first..

IMO (since I have done this swap) it would not be worth the time. Really there is no need to. The only thing that is a PITA is getting the motor in and out. IF you do it right, you should only need to do that a once or twice. Use the cases for mock up. After that the pipe sucks, but is not that bad once the hull is trimmed.

When i started, i built a pvc stand to hold the doo. This makes it easy to reach from all around. Also take care to measure what the best height for you to work on it is. I did this so i could reach into the bottom of the hull but also not bending my back over. I think this was the best thing i did in prep.

I don't think its worth the time. Let us know how it goes!

dean

+1
    dean, you, ziggy, and airbornxp are where i got the idea from. it looks like too much fun. i have a blast working on projects like this and i have learned so much from everyone on this forum. i am on this website so much that my girl just has to see me on the laptop and i get "are you on that damn website again?" guilty until proven addicted.

i am sure i will have tons of questions for you guys once i get started.

the reason i want to split the hulls is i was dabating on trueing and regelcoating the hull black...or blue... idk, the whole idea is still up in the air. figured it would be easier with the hulls split

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Id leave them together and re gelcoat after your done. Deans right. its pretty easy in the beginning but the pipe does suck. and if you are using oil injection make sure its all hooked up before the pipe goes in cause your gonna have to either jam your hand in a very uncomfortable position or take the pipe back out.

+1
    i will be premixing so no worries there. this will be my modded ski. a true sleeper. any advice on modds to do to the motor or anything else before i go and put the motor in the ski? was planning on proks and rejet already. any advice on heads? pipes? want to stay somewhat reliable and 93 octane, but also want to see about 70 on the dreamometer. (i know, expecting a bit much)

is the rossier stage1 kit anygood?
    http://www.rossiereng.com/products.p...uct=1191601603

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    i will be premixing so no worries there. this will be my modded ski. a true sleeper. any advice on modds to do to the motor or anything else before i go and put the motor in the ski? was planning on proks and rejet already. any advice on heads? pipes? want to stay somewhat reliable and 93 octane, but also want to see about 70 on the dreamometer. (i know, expecting a bit much)

is the rossier stage1 kit anygood?
    http://www.rossiereng.com/products.p...uct=1191601603
    if you can find a coffman pipe that will help a ton. also a set of reeds and a high compression head will get you to a true 70mph.

read this thread...it will get you to where you want to be.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14242

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Hey Dean what part of west Mi do you live in? I live in Muskegon.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information