+1

Exclamation Attn 1.8L owners

Recently I purchaced a bunch of oil filters for inventory. I decided to go with KN brand for the quality, price, and overall model coverage. I had an incident with a FZS where it had developed a bad oil leak. Found the filter O ring was distorted, so we chocked it up to a "defective" gasket and put another on it. No more problems for 10 or so hours before it started leaking again! This time I spent a lot of time checking it out and found another leaking oil filter. The problem is that the sealing O ring barely covers the filter mounting flange. Its right on the inside edge, and after it goes through a few heat cycles, it will leak.

After consulting with my parts supplier, who also contacted KN about this issue, we found out that the KN-204 filter, which was in the catalog as a direct replacement for the 1.8 engine, is the wrong filter. KN has pulled the filter from their coverage for these watercraft, and do not offer a replacement filter as of yet.

to recap, do not use a KN-204 filter on your 1.8L engine (SHO, FZR, FZS)

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...px?Prod=kn-204

I have used the KN brand filters on Kawi watercraft, and some ATV models without issue.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Recently I purchaced a bunch of oil filters for inventory. I decided to go with KN brand for the quality, price, and overall model coverage. I had an incident with a FZS where it had developed a bad oil leak. Found the filter O ring was distorted, so we chocked it up to a "defective" gasket and put another on it. No more problems for 10 or so hours before it started leaking again! This time I spent a lot of time checking it out and found another leaking oil filter. The problem is that the sealing O ring barely covers the filter mounting flange. Its right on the inside edge, and after it goes through a few heat cycles, it will leak.

After consulting with my parts supplier, who also contacted KN about this issue, we found out that the KN-204 filter, which was in the catalog as a direct replacement for the 1.8 engine, is the wrong filter. KN has pulled the filter from their coverage for these watercraft, and do not offer a replacement filter as of yet.

I have used the KN brand filters on Kawi watercraft, and some ATV models without issue.
    Good to know Rich, I use the NAPA GOLD brand on my ski and for my customers.

Jim, do you know the part # for the Napa? I'm getting ready to change my oil and need a filter but don't want to spent $23 for the Yamaha filter.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by andygpr748 View Post
    Jim, do you know the part # for the Napa? I'm getting ready to change my oil and need a filter but don't want to spent $23 for the Yamaha filter.

Probably not near as cheap as a NAPA filter but i do have the genuine OEM oil filters for $19 in the online store
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1170

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    Good to know Rich, I use the NAPA GOLD brand on my ski and for my customers.
    good stuff Jim... they are made by Wix

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    Probably not near as cheap as a NAPA filter but i do have the genuine OEM oil filters for $19 in the online store
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1170
    I may have to order some from you Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post

Good info WFO... I'll be doing my first oil/filter change soon on my FZS..guess i'll just stick with the OEM filter for now seeing i'm still under warranty. Guess i'll grab a cheaper filter from the GH store.

Thread Information