Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Turbo 12X - Cavitates

My Honda Aquatrak R-12X Turbo cavitates at about 5000 RPM. Starts gaining speed then cuts back. Sometimes I can work through it but then it well back off again @ about 5500 RPM. This happens also on corners at slower speeds. Any idea why ?
    Last edited by Kendall; 10-20-2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Added more info

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendall View Post
    My Honda Aquatrak R-12X Turbo cavitates at about 5000 RPM. Starts gaining speed then cuts back. Sometimes I can work through it but then it well back off again @ about 5500 RPM. This happens also on corners at slower speeds. Any idea why ?
    Welcome to the Greenhulk world. Good luck with figuring out all that is going on with your ski.

Need a Kawasaki

+1
    Need a Kawasaki
    I think I know where you can find one.....

As far as your ski I would say you need to check your impeller for any dings it may have had from the previous owner. I would also think you need to check the boost your ski is making along with what it is supposed to be producing. I felt there was excessive lag time before the boost came up and when it did it was not constant. I could not say about the extent of the cavitation at the higher RPM because of the water conditions. There was definately cavitation from the whole shot. I am not very familiar with the Honda's so I am just speaking generally and giving a little more info on what I felt when I rode. I just feel that that much HP on that small of a ski should take off.

Me too ....trying

+1
    The stock impellers had a problem with some cavitation. The Solas fixes that. Removing a couple of bars fromt the intake grate helps the problem too and allows you to get your hand inside to remove trash.

Is there any preferance on which grates? Like the ones on the end or in the middle ? Is this something I can do myself? (I'm a woman trying to do this myself, not real familar with the mechanics of the ski)

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Is there any preferance on which grates? Like the ones on the end or in the middle ? Is this something I can do myself? (I'm a woman trying to do this myself, not real familar with the mechanics of the ski)

Always list the year and Hours when askin for help, makes it easier to help!

There is a couple of things you can check.....1 is the intake/ride plate under the ski @ rear of ski......look to see if it has been removed before.....look for silicone sealant around it if you dont see any thats a problem. 2 is the impellor, look up from the bottom of the ski with a flashlight to see if there are any dings or damage to the housing or the impellor if there is thats a problem.

you seem to want to work on it...... Its not hard to check stuff out OR even remove the Jet pump.....all you need is Metric wrenches and sockets they will help you here or you can go to www.Pwctoday.com they cover cavitation issues there as well

+1
    If you or a BF have a Sawzall, you can go under the ski while its on the trailer and remove the outside bars on both sides but cutting them as close to the frame as possible. Usually the "nubs" that are remaining are not an issue on the Hondas. By removing the grate bars you can get you hand inside to remove debris from the impeller. Without cutting it you will be hating life if you get downriver and get something wrapped in the impeller. The additional flow through the grate helps cavatation and the retrofit Solas impeller is a 100% fix.

Make sure also that you keep the turbo/waste gate actuator sprayed with CRC and also consider changing out the Main Relay that will eventually die of corrosion [$65.00 part].

With the right maintenance, the Honda is the most reliable 'ski out there and is a great choice for a female.

Thank you for your help. It's an 05, sold in 07 with 28 hours on it. I've located the grates and looks simple. I'm going to try NO. 1 & 4. I am an engineer so I have tools. Just use to working on pipe.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information