need some help on a 1999 GSX limited

I have a good friend who has a 1999 GSX limited with a twin cylinder 951? cc engine who i am trying to help, but I don't know Sea Doo's very well. At the beginning of summer it would not fire up, turns out the fuel filter was full of strange goo. We clean the filter, ski starts up and runs ok. Later this summer ski croaks again, friend takes ski to dealer, dealer says its decomposing fuel lines, charges 400$ or so to get it all going, which was supposed to include replacing the fuel lines. Now I have had the dreaded decomposing gray fuel lines on both a polaris and kawasaki ski, so I know about this part, but i am not around for the trip to the dealer.

Now,the Sea Doo GSX once again wont start, so my friend brings it to me to look at. I look, I see gray fuel lines everywhere, they don't look new to me but they could be I suppose. My experience suggests that the gray lines usually get replaced with black automotive type fuel line, but before I sic my friend on his dealer, do Sea Doo dealers still use a gray colored line for replacement use? Might they not change out all the gray lines, but instead just replace the main fuel line?

+1
    They should have at the very least changed the two lines from the tank to the switch, the line from the switch to the filter, the line from the filter to the carbs, the line from the front carb to the rear and the return line.

The dealer MAY have used Tempo lines, but new ones would not look like 10 year old ones after just a few months.

The newer 951s came with black marine fuel line so I would think the replacement (and like you said, they are just as likely to get it from NAPA since it would cost less) would be black as well.

Can you take a pic of what is in his boat?

It sounds like they did not do what they said they would. I suggest you go over to the SD two-stroke section and have a look at the fuel system sticky at the top of the page.

You probably need to do just about everything in there. While you are at it, do a compression test on his engine to see if there has been any damage. A lean 2-stroke is a dead 2-stroke. If that big filter was clogged there is a very good chance the inlet screens in the carbs are clogged and maybe even the fuel valve itself.

For 400 bucks I would expect all of that to have been cleaned AND the all of the fuel lines to have been replaced.

thanks for the info, I will try to take some Pics. The lines connecting the carbs really do not look new, one has a hose clamp, the other a factory type clamp. I will do a compression check, what should it look like on that engine, 150 psi range?

I am a little stunned by the exhaust expansion chamber over carb set up, it does not appear we can see or do much with taking that part off-any words of wisdom on taking it off? Seemed to be one blind fastener on the bottom of the manifold bolts. thanks for the help.

+1
    The engine configuration can be a bit intimidating for those not used to it. You will get used to it (though a GSXL is a PITA to work on even for the experienced mechanic).

It is the product of the need for that huge pipe to generate the power that the 951 does (something like 1.2 hp/lb). It is actually a rather elegant design, IMO.'

That said, the reality of the situation does not change in that it can be challanging to deal with (especially in that hull). You DO NOT have to remove the pipe to get the carbs off. In fact, unless the pipe is leaking somewhere, your goal is to anything to avoid having to take it off. Once the air box is removed things start to look a bit better in there.

I am not sure about the GSXL, but on many of the 951 boats there is enough slack in the fuel lines and the carb cable (you may have to snip some zipties) to remove the choke cable and the carb bolts and pull the carbs up onto the engine to get the fuel lines and throttle cable (which is a hell of a lot easier than doing them when mounted).

The original clamps on a '99 should be the oetiker type crimp clamps.

The compression on a stock 951 varies so you mostly look for a difference between cylinders more than a total number to determine health. 125 or so on up is good if the two holes are within 5-8% of each other (on a car it can be as much as 10% and the lower numbers are my own since I have found that on healthy 951s there is hardly any variance at all, ever).

we checked the compression Saturday and it was a perfect 150/150, so i suppose no damage was done.
    *Upon closer inspection, two new gray hoses had been installed but one old one left gong to the gas tank.
    *Spark plugs have fire
    *And...we put of few drops of gas in the cylinders and it cranked up for a few seconds..
    *Then we discovered it runs just great..put it on the garden hose, seems to run fine, so why did it not start a couple of weeks ago????

Dont know but friend assures me gas was on and he ran down the battery trying to start it, then recharged battery, now it starts. On my Polaris, it will turn over but start with a half way hot battery, are Sea-Doos known for this as well? Its the only thing we can figure, other than maybe the fuel pump had lost its prime and using gas in the cylinders might have got gas moving, but he had not run it out of gas earlier...

+1
    The fuel pumps take just a little time to prime, if it was even lost. You will not run a battery down (if it is healthy) trying to start one with no gas in the filter.

If that is the return line that they did not change it is not good. That needs to be swapped out too.

Yes thanks, it was clearly two new and one old line from the tank, all gray lines but not identical, the new ones seemed beefier. friend did not do anything different from when it would not start other than the recharge the battery. Other than add gas to each cylinder we did nothing to it, seemed to run fine, so I am sure it will be just another jet ski mystery. thanks for all the help.

I work for a dealer in Cocoa Florida. We replace the gray Fuel lines with a Gray Fuel line made for use in a Boat and Coast Guard Certified Its gray and has a bigger outer diameter. We do it so there are no legal issues or liability's. I am well versed in the GSXL and have owned and ridden the crap out of 3 GSXL's 2 98 1 99. They can be tough to work on but they are one of my favorites.

+1
    my gsxl seems like to much compression to spin over so I search to see what other people had similar issues but I can now tell you those carbs can be removed blind and leaving that pipe in place , the first time I pulled the pipe cause this was the first time I had been in a seadoo setup (I'm used to Yamaha) but the second time I pulled those carbs I left the pipe in place so it can be done.

Thread Information