Problems with '98 SLTH

Trying to figure out what is wrong with my 1998 Polaris SLTH 700. The ski will start up fine on the trailer and rev up well but once its in the water it will only hit about 20-25mph. I tested the compression and it is about 120-125 on both cylinders. Any help is appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What is the max RPM you are seeing in the water?

Does it have the original, or the Updated ignition in it?
    You can tell by the part number on the CDI.

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

An engine can rev well even if one of the cylinders isn't firing properly.

Try grounding one spark plug wire at a time to the engine block, then start the engine. It should rev equally with either one of the plug wires grounded.

If one cylinder runs the engine better than the other, there is a problem with the ignition system. Don't run it for a long time this way, just long enough to see if one cylinder is stronger than the other.

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    Any odd noises? What is the condition of your jet pump, stator, impeller and bearings? Drive shaft coupler? Have the carbs been cleaned or rebuilt ever? Internal screens could be clogged.

1 - check compression
    2 - check spark
    3- check fuel
    most likely its the fuel and you need to rebuild the carbs. I had two of these and they have the grey fuel lines so get rid of those and replace with black ones. Clean every component of the fuel system, water seperator, shutoff valve, then the carbs. Check the little fuel screens in the carbs they always clog up. Replace any carb parts that a questionable. When they are lean they always run great on the trailer. Good luck

Going to check into both of these issues this weekend sometime and will get back to you guys.

Found out the ski has a lot of old gas mixed with oil in the tank so I have to siphon all that gas out. I also took apart the carbs and found that a filter was broke so I'm going to have to order a rebuild kit or get a new set of carbs.

The rebuild kits do not come with the filters, you have to order those seperate. They run about $12 each if I remember correctly.. gotta be real careful while removing them I know ive broken a couple while taking them off for cleaning.

Ok thanks for the info im gonna check with the dealer or check eBay.

Polaris SLTX 1050,
    Were you ever able to determine the cause? I have a '98 SLTH 700 that has a similar problem. It wont rev up past 3500 rpm, then it starts backfiring through the throttle plates in the carbs. Acts like its loaded up. I have tested the fuel pump, cleaned the carbs, checked for spark and replaced the plugs. No improvement. Next I inspected the reeds, and disconnected the rev limiter wire at the electrical box. Nothing has worked so far. Also, the MFD has a flashing red LED, but no display of overheat. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    BlueDogLeader

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDogLeader View Post
    Polaris SLTX 1050,
    Were you ever able to determine the cause? I have a '98 SLTH 700 that has a similar problem. It wont rev up past 3500 rpm, then it starts backfiring through the throttle plates in the carbs. Acts like its loaded up. I have tested the fuel pump, cleaned the carbs, checked for spark and replaced the plugs. No improvement. Next I inspected the reeds, and disconnected the rev limiter wire at the electrical box. Nothing has worked so far. Also, the MFD has a flashing red LED, but no display of overheat. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    BlueDogLeader

Red light on the MFD likely means limp mode. Check for low gas or low oil on the display. If you have a full tank of gas and it still reads low, replace the float in the sender. I rebuilt three skis over the winter and all three needed new floats.

Thread Information