1st carb rebuild

hey all bigeasy the lurker here i dont often post but read often i finally feel confident enough to attempt to rebuild my first carb on a 2004 xl700.why are the rebuild kits so pricey.is there some reason they are worth 10x what a kit cost from attermarket manufacturers on ebay.i dont think i need to rplace any metal parts just the rubber ones.any suggestions what i need and the best place to get it?

+1
    The Mikuni price on kits is highway robbery. But considering how seldom you have to do a rebuild, it's hard not to go with it. And I don't trust Ebay aftermarket parts.

there must be somewhere that sells aftermarket rebuild kits someone here must know

+1
    sbt sells them aftermarket, as well as wsm.They work/fit but they don't quite have the oem quality.

+1
    My advice is spend the money or you may have to pay for it down the road. Like Boogie said you really dont have to do it that often, so look at it as a investment to keep you motor reliable and safe. Just my 2 cents..

+1
    Take it from me, I have rebuilt a set or two. "Stay away from aftermarket carb rebuild kits" Go with the genuine Mikuni Kits you will never regret it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Take it from me, I have rebuilt a set or two. "Stay away from aftermarket carb rebuild kits" Go with the genuine Mikuni Kits you will never regret it.
    + 1.

Way back, I went with an aftermarket carb rebuild kit, my pop off pressue was all screwed up, thinking it was something I was doing wrong, come to find out my needle & seat were ever so slightly "a different design" than Mikuni.

Spend the extra few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    listen to bill he knows his chit

is it possible to just replace the rubber parts the metal parts look fine.i have 4 old pwc's with a total of 9 carbs.the newest one is a 2004 xl700 i pulled the carbs off and cleaned them not much dirt.it starts fine and runs fine for a while then starts to stumble and will die wont restart for about 15 min then will run but stumble at anything over 75% throttle. the local shop says for 650 they will rebuild carbs does this sound like the problem to you guys?

+1
    The only metal parts that come in the rebuild kits is the spring arm and pin and basicly they are reuseable.

Thread Information