Air-tight Winter storage?

After doing all the normal winterizing (fog and antifreeze) is there anything to gain from shrink-wrapping them for the winter? I have some large bags of whatever that moisture absorbing "do not eat" stuff is called.

Shrink-wrap is not really what I will be doing, we what looks like a giant roll of thick saran-wrap. I am hoping to keep the insects out.

They are stored in a closed but not heated building so rain and sun are not an issues, but temperature is..

I would not wrap them,, if concerned about insects etc, just place some moth balls in a plastic container under your cover,, should keep them away,, I heard mice do not like this either

Shrink wrapping with desiccant inside won't help much, as there is something you are forgetting....

The waterbox is the source of most internal engine corrosion, and the primary reason for fogging. Since the waterbox holds water, the air humidity is very high inside the exhaust passages . With a 2 cylinder engine, it is impossible to have the piston seal off both exhaust ports at the same time. One cylinder will always be exposed to very humid air.

Your proposal will only work if you disconnect and remove the waterbox. Otherwise the desiccant will become saturated in a very short time, and excess humidity will start to corrode other things inside your "cocoon".

I've always thought that the best way to store a PWC long-term is to remove the waterbox....

+1
    There is no need to wrap if the ski is in a building. It is better to let the air get at them. Even when I used to shrink skis for a living, I would still vent the shrink wrap.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    I've considered using a blow-dryer inside the hull, with a temperature controller inside. I use a Johnson control in my HVAC applications that would work well. It would cycle the dryer, to keep the inside hull (and engine) temp your desired temperature. This would eliminate over 90% of sweating, as moisture condenses inside and out of the engine as the hull temp rises, each day. Fogging will still be necessary for sure.

ve considered using a blow-dryer inside the hull, with a temperature controller inside. I use a Johnson control in my HVAC applications that would work well. It would cycle the dryer, to keep the inside hull (and engine) temp your desired temperature. This would eliminate over 90% of sweating, as moisture condenses inside and out of the engine as the hull temp rises, each day. Fogging will still be necassary for sure.
    Robert you never seem to run out of ideas....I love the idea of climate control in side the seadoo in the off season.

However I would never use Johnson Controls to run it! You should look into some Trane controls if you want it to work.

Dean

PS. I am a controls engineer for Trane lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw3 View Post
    Robert you never seem to run out of ideas....I love the idea of climate control in side the seadoo in the off season.

However I would never use Johnson Controls to run it! You should look into some Trane controls if you want it to work.

Dean

PS. I am a controls engineer for Trane lol.
    Thanks Dean! But...you just opened up a BIG can of worms...LMAO! Your thermostats for the Voyager units absolutely suck! Those are the hardest stats that have ever been released to program, all brands included, and fail constantly. Did I mention the $300 replacement price tag? I'm not a big fan of Johnson either, to be completely honest, but their A419 controller works great and is adjustable for many applications. $45 bucks...

Dean. I apologize if I offended you. I didn't mean to do so, apparently you do have something to do with the controls I mentioned.

Just remember I'm one measly contractor out there and there are thousands of other contractors purchasing more Trane than I.

ahah Robert it is no problem. You did not offend me, I just didn't want to tie up a thread with controls talk lol

I have heard that the voyager does have its problems. I do not do the designing of the actual products but rather choose them in different applications to solve issues, so it doesn't really bother me. Honestly we don't use them a lot (we do a lot of large commercial buildings) so we try to use air handlers and VAV boxes for more precise control and easy adjustment. I should mention that to corporate tho

I wouldn't have brought it up if i wasn't expecting criticism. It's all fun!

We did have a good laugh at work about your climate control inside the seadoo for the winter idea....which ironically lead to a great discussion about how to do it lol

Final conclusion....Find a warm building and leave the seat open lol.

Good. Tell your co-workers I can brainstorm with the best of them...lol

Thread Information