Need help choosing XP?

I want to find a XP to start modding. One that does not have any known problem from Seadoo. I had a 97 XP a few years ago and liked the way it handled, just was a little underpowered. Have an RXP now and love it. Trying to decide which year XP from 1998-2003 would be the best and most reliable to start with. Are the basically the same from 98-03 until the DI models? Are there any pros or cons for certain years, any known problem with certain years. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Any opinions?

The 98 is kind of an orphan, with it's single coil ignition, drive-line couplers and thru-hull seal (being the major differences). From 99 on up, pick the year that looks the best to you and one that you can find the best deal on.

All the 951's from 99 on up are basically the same (until the DI's came along).

Reliability and problems were more dependant on individual owner care and maintenance (what little there is).

What about problems with the DI's? I have heard of people prefering the non-DI's models more? What would be the reasons?

Problems with DI's? Do a search for all the problems with fuel pumps, fuel pressure, air pumps, injectors, etc........When a manufacturer adds another electronic, computer controlled system onto a ski, they add another level of complexity.

Some people have never had an issue with it and love their ski's, some people have had nothing but trouble with it. Luck of the draw I guess.

Carb'd 951's are just simpler set-ups.

The DI is a complex machine and it can be hard to find someone who is good with them. They are also limited in the Mods that can be done to a DI. The 2002 XPL is the last one powered with a Carb 951. In 2000 they moved the vent tubes to the rear of the engine compartment. This did a lot to dry out the hull. The early ones would get water in the hull if ridden in surf or slow with the nose under water. The later models came with a standard bilge pump. Nothing carves like an XPL

Thread Information