Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Floatation foam blocks

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I have to ask; do you guys take out the white foam blocks inside the hull, or do you leave it in place? I understand its role in keeping your ski off the bottom of the lake, but is it even enough to begin with, and is it worth leaving in. I was planning on removing it so that I can truely clean the inside of my hull and possibly repaint the inside so that I will have a 'clean slate' to work with. I want to be able to show this ski and have people appreciate it as much as I do. Not look at it as a 15 yr old POS polaris ski.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The flotation foam inside the hull is indeed enough to keep the hull floating.

If you leave a drain plug out (a very popular method of sinking a PWC), the foam will keep the hull floating like an iceberg.

When we sank a 1992 SL 650 (drain plugs left out), there was enough flotation to keep the seat just above water level, with the water level inside the hull above the carbs

I have not painted a hull inside, but I have had good results from a combination of degreaser/cleaner, bleach, and scrubbing. The bleach takes the black out of the mold and mildew, and kills the moldy smell.

If you have the engine and electrical out of the way, a power washer with degreaser would probably be rather effective. Don't blast the foam directly, or it will come apart.

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar
    Sounds great! Thanks for the advice. I don't really want to sink this ski after all the work I am putting into it!

+1
    This was before and after. They do clean up well, just degrease and soap it up good. You could even hand paint white gelcoat in there and carefully paint around inside it to make it look like new.

I'd keep the foam in for safety. Does'nt weigh anything really..Keeps it off the bottom too!.
    I wouldn't paint the inside. Paint peels. And could get sucked up the siphon tubes, get into the carbs and clog a bilge pump too. And maybe sloshing of paint chips in the bottom of the hull after a few months of sitting in oil 'gas mixture,water and dirt inside.
    Sand anything a little first. then apply the gelcoat. You could add colors to the gel too if you like. Gelcoat is like fiberglass resin with color in it. Very tough and will last a long time. Won't chip or peel either. I'm going to do it to my SLT this spring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new camera pictures and videos 084.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	155908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new camera pictures and videos 036.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	3.33 MB 
ID:	155909  

I used degreaser and elbow grease plus garden hose and shop vac, cleaned out easily enough in about an hour.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    I also used some engine degreaser gel to get all the crap and oil off my hull. I sprayed the gel, let it sit, and used a green scotchbrite pad and got that hull looking white! I'm considering doing the bed liner stuff though because a lot of my hull paint/gel coat is starting to come up and look like ass...

BEFORE:

AFTER!!

+1
    Looks great in there! great job. Some feel whats the point of making it super clean, I like it clean inside and out so when your buddies look in there , they say, wow , that looks nice!. Easier to see problems and wires and hoses too.

+1
    Purple power. Available at walmart for about 6 dollars a gallon. Use it straight. Put it in a spray bottle and spray everything down real good and pressure wash it. It will clean everything like new. I use it to clean internals of engines I build and all. Even removes the carbon buildup in heads

Thread Information