VTS draining battery after fuse blown..

I have a 96 GSX and was recently looking over everything as i put it up for the winter. I noticed that my trim had stopped working so i started to investigate. I checked my 7.5 fuse and it was blown, so i replaced it. The motor worked fine for about 10 seconds then the fuse would pop again randomly. Sometimes it would pop as soon as i put it in, other times it worked for up to 15 seconds before. I also made sure that the motor is not going to far in both directions when held all the way up and down and breaking the fuse. I left the blown fuse in for two days and sure enough my battery is dead. i found this
    site http://www.sea-doo.net/techarticles/vts/index.html

and was reading this:
    There appears to be a failure of the potting compound that is used to encapsulate the VTS printed circuit board. This is a major cause of blowing your 7.5 amp fuse. The potting compound is intended to be an electrical insulator, but after a period of time it allows a conductive path to develop between the positive and negative power wires that feed the VTS board. This puts a continuous drain on the PWC battery and puts a continuous load on the 7.5 amp fuse. The area that appears to be causing the problem is around the varistor RV1 that is located between the up and down relays K1 and K2. There may be some other problems that cause the unwanted conductive path to develop. The encapsulation may be degrading when it is overheated by the copper electrical conductors on the printed circuit board. This situation could occur if water has entered the trim motor and caused it to lock. The circuit could also overheat if an overtravel situation develops. Overtravel will be discussed later. An analysis of more VTS boxes may help pinpoint the root cause of the problem.

I planned on taking the VTS out this weekend and looking at the circuit board. Is there any easy fix to this problem or am i looking at having to buy a new board?

Thanks for the help!

+1
    Replace the VTS box.

Check the rubber boot on the back too. You probably got water in it (a more common cause of failure than the potting compound) and it is usually through the boot.

If it has not been changed in the last year or two it is a good idea to replace it anyway.

+1
    I just replaced the boot with a new one with plastic ring clips...so much easier. I ended up replacing my motor and the housing unit. When you open it up (the VTS unit) if the motor is corroded, replace it too. Good luck!

thanks for the tips! Yeah the motor is a little bit corroded. Is it possible to take everything apart and clean it or fix the problem without buying a new motor and box (such as just removing some of the compound on the board)? Or is it more than likely to far gone? I already have a pretty expensive repair with the ski come next spring that is inevitable so if i could save money in any way it would help out a lot!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the board!
    I dont think that anyone has tried that to my knowledge... If you do happen to open it up and fix it. post up the process that you followed with pictures. New ideas are always welcome!

Thanks! Well i have a background in computer science and a buddy of mine that has designed some circuit boards before so ill give it a shot and see what happens. Worst case scenario is i break something that is already broke

+1
    For what its worth, I tried replacing the motor first buttoned it all back up new boot etc. just to find out the housing was also shot from the water and expansion and contraction around where the wires come into it. So while it may seem like it might be expensive, there alot of people inside this forum that have parts or can send you to reputable sources. Good Luck.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    The vts motor usually fairs pretty good even though water has entered it. A lil PB blaster over night and i had that motor running just fine. Make sure that you replace or fix that vts housing. I had a 97xp one time and after i was done riding i put it on the trailor. I opened up the front hatch to find smoke and a burning wire smell, the vts was on fire and melting. I unplugged the power going to it and it stopped. Just be careful!

Thread Information