Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Engine Cutting Out 08'250x

Took my ski out last weekend twice and after about 10mins, it was cutting out randomly only at high rpm(above 6krpm). The loss of power would put the boat in a limp mode without any beeps, or errors for about 3-5 seconds. No throttle response during the 3-5 seconds. Made appointment and took ski in today, their word is that no error codes showed up and during the lake test everything was smooth. So Iam gonna get it back and take it out to find the problem still there. Hopefully when i take it back the second time they'll refund my first diagnostic fee since its under warranty.

Not exactly sure what could be wrong. Maybe plugs? Replaced 2 so far on that ski.
    Airflow?
    Any thoughts or ideas is very appreciated

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Boost View Post
    Took my ski out last weekend twice and after about 10mins it was cutting out randomly each day. The loss of power would put the boat in a limp mode without any beeps, or errors for about 3-5 seconds. No throttle response during the 3-5 seconds. Made appointment and took ski in today, their word is that no error codes showed up and during the lake test everything was smooth. So Iam gonna get it back and take it out to find the problem still there. Hopefully when i take it back the second time they'll refund my first diagnostic fee since its under warranty.

Not exactly sure what could be wrong. Maybe plugs? Replaced 2 so far on that ski.
    Airflow?
    Start with replaceing all 4 plugs at the same time. more then likley thats your problem. replaceing one or two plugs at a time is a waist imo.

Yea that's what i did on other ski with rough idlre/running. I got 4 off amazon so ill put them in when i get em. I've experianced the common rough idle/running with fouled plugs, this is differant becuase the ski doesn't run rough, but just cuts out. This leads me to think away from plugs.

Took my ski out last weekend twice and after about 10mins, it was cutting out randomly only at high rpm(above 6krpm). The loss of power would put the boat in a limp mode without any beeps, or errors for about 3-5 seconds. No throttle response during the 3-5 seconds. Made appointment and took ski in today, their word is that no error codes showed up and during the lake test everything was smooth. So Iam gonna get it back and take it out to find the problem still there. Hopefully when i take it back the second time they'll refund my first diagnostic fee since its under warranty.

Airflow?
    When you say "cut out" does it cut out altogether or does it keep running but at a lower RPM? I would guess that if it went into limp mode that it should log an error code.

Banned User
    +1
    Yea that's what i did on other ski with rough idlre/running. I got 4 off amazon so ill put them in when i get em. I've experianced the common rough idle/running with fouled plugs, this is differant becuase the ski doesn't run rough, but just cuts out. This leads me to think away from plugs.
    Start with the plugs. but if theres a major fault the ecm should log it. otherwise it leads me to belive plugs becuase some times it runs sometimes it doesent. if your loosing all power when as in it shuts off then you may have another problem. ether fuel or electrical. can you expslain the symptoms a little more ore better ?

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Check air horn on the air box, ensure its not sucking against the hull
    ( RH Side of ski )

Waz

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Check air horn on the air box, ensure its not sucking against the hull
    ( RH Side of ski )

Waz
    Ill bet this is the problem. YES

I had a similar problem when I was wot, one of the exaust hoses was loose and leaking exaust into the hull flooding the hual with exaust, had to limp back with the seats off. make sure all your exaust hose clamps are super tight!!

Quote Originally Posted by jmatak9 View Post
    I had a similar problem when I was wot, one of the exaust hoses was loose and leaking exaust into the hull flooding the hual with exaust, had to limp back with the seats off. make sure all your exaust hose clamps are super tight!!
    Your problem would not give a random engine cut-out symptoms as the OP was describing. If engine room fills with the leaking exhaust gas, it would just run bad period.

R5 Water-X Racing Promoter PowerShot's Avatar
    +1
    Couple of things! 1st check your pump bearings..You ask why would that cause this well let metell you alittle story

Its a known fact that there are issues with the pump bearings going out on the ultra pumps prematurely when this happens it can cause the drive shaft to move forward and shove into the coupler on the crank. When that happens it can cause the bearings and the seals to fail in turn causing a catastrophic engine failure. This doesnt happen immediately it can happen even after you replace the bearings in the pump but it will happen shortly after the replacement..how do I know this?

It just happened to me..I lost my pump bearings and had them replaced and then ran it for approx 45 mins afterwards riding and then all hell started breaking loose. We threw a rod on #3 cylinder blew a hole in side of engine and bottom in the oil pan. You can see where the drive shaft is positioned and butted up right against the crank coupler with NO clearance and you can also see where the rod bearing had rub wear wear it started failing then siezed and threw the rod..Not a pretty sight! This was done on our non race ultra too so it happens whether your racing or not! It was unfortunate and a VERY sad day for us in the Kawasaki camp but it will and can be fixed.

I guess what Im getting at is this..Right before we had the engine failure we were noticing the ski losing rpm's intermittenly at times at WFO of mid range..we would let off check under seat and then get back into the throttle or go back to shore then we would go back out after not finding anything thinking it could be a exhaust leak or something in pump area.Well after the 3rd time of going out with it trying to pin point it....BLAM!!!! BYE BYE!

Good luck and if you have any questions give us a shout 214-498-3592
    B

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information