Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Changing impeller--can't get pump seated???

Pulled my pump a couple weeks ago as I traded my prop for a different prop (13/24 Skat). Got the new prop yesterday and when I went to install it tonight, I can't get the shaft seated all the way.

There is room around the impeller so I don't think the impeller is what's stopping it. I tried screwing the pump screws in (just snugged) and seeing if that helped set the shaft but it didn't work. Even with some brass hammer tapping (mostly on the handle end).

The ski has been backwards on the lift since I pulled the pump (nose down a bit). The temps have gotten cool but I have not been worried about freezing at all. When I look where the shaft seats (coupling--way up in there), I see a little water but nothing that looks unusual. Almost feels like an o-ring is stopping the shaft but I can't get it in. I greased the splines and can feel them mesh but she won't take any more...

This is my third time changing the prop and the first time the shaft wouldn't seat all the way upon reassembly. I'm covered in effing 1211--She just asked me what's on my lip so I must even have it there... Anyhone know why I can't get the shaft to go all the way in? I'm not working on it any more tonight--just drinking whiskey and sprite.

Thanks,

Craig

My bet would be the impeller hitting the housing.

If it were the impeller it is a little odd you could get it in that far.

Check the 2 alighment pins?

+1
    Don't try tapping in it with a hammer

Once you feel it binding pull it back just a hair and using your finger slightly turn (literally just a hair) the prop (so the shaft turns) and try again. Sometimes it just takes 5 tries and other times it goes in first time. The splines are very fine and have to be lined up perfect to slide in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    My bet would be the impeller hitting the housing.

If it were the impeller it is a little odd you could get it in that far.

Check the 2 alighment pins?
    There is clearance around the impeller as I can move the pump slightly and see the clearance between the impeller and the pump housing... The only marks I see on the housing are at the 6 o'clock position from when I slide the assembly in... The alingment pins aren't even close to contacting.

Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Don't try tapping in it with a hammer

Once you feel it binding pull it back just a hair and using your finger slightly turn (literally just a hair) the prop (so the shaft turns) and try again. Sometimes it just takes 5 tries and other times it goes in first time. The splines are very fine and have to be lined up perfect to slide in.

I can feel the splines meshing. The shaft is definenately going into the coupler. Are there two splines that mesh (or steps like an o-ring)?

I swear--every other time I've done this the shaft went right in to where it seats. The new impeller makes me think it is what's stopping it (like SHOBiz is saying). However, when it's all the way in (the shaft) and stops, I can still move the shaft (and impeller) both up and down and sideways as there is clearance around the impeller.

I appreciate and welcome the help.

+1
    I agree with Mpower had to do the same thing myself when it is just right it slides right in.

+1
    How big is the gap when the shaft stops moving? Are you getting any of the prop in the wear ring?

That little bit of water you see is hydraulicing when you put the driveshaft in it.. Happens when we change impellers at the beach and have the nose of the ski lower than the rear.
    It doesnt take much to make it hydraulic.. Blow it out with compressed air, or just lower the rear of the ski and let it run out.

Quote Originally Posted by rossnemo View Post
    That little bit of water you see is hydraulicing when you put the driveshaft in it.. Happens when we change impellers at the beach and have the nose of the ski lower than the rear.
    It doesnt take much to make it hydraulic.. Blow it out with compressed air, or just lower the rear of the ski and let it run out.
    This happened to me i have put the pump in 3 or 4 times last time i had trouble getting it in so i stopped and did it the next day i bet i had water in ther as well nice tip. Ron

+1
    Sounds like you have seen this before. Hope to see you next Sunday.

+1
    Holy cow--I never would've thought of that.

I'll blow her out today and see if that takes care of the problem.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information