Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on buying 05 RXT

Ive been looking for a RXT. I have seen a couple (05-06)go on Ebay for around $4500 I'm at my moms in Pa and looking at one here that has 37 hrs but has not been ran in a year and has not been modded. I know Ill have to do the sc washers. but is there any problem I should look for with the lack of use? What do you think I should offer the guy?. Its in PA and I'll need to take it back to Fl with me.It does have a trailer but its an older one.not worth more than $150 but useable.
    thanks

+1
    4000 to 4500 if clean a adult or kid run i had over 127 hrs on my 05 and had a lot more in it till i sucked up water in ti sc and put no. 1 piston in the wrong place

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    as long as its been put up dry flushed and the engine cranks, I would go for it. More likely the gas will be no good due to gas shelf life is only 90 days, but I would say go crank it hear it run and rev up normally and make sure there are no missing going on, and no rust due to if it was put up wet/moist inside. Check the supercharger by hand

Whats the procedure for checking the sc ?Shaft play? can you reach the impeller by taking the inlet hose off? What is the down side of cranking it with bad gas? Will it screw up the injectors?
    thanks

+1
    yes check by taking that hose off, check for play, and wobble. it shouldnt do this, and cranking it with bad gas will also make it run like shit. also do a compression check on each cylinder

What should the comps be? I 'dont know if there is anyplace local to run it and I don't have a wetsuit with me. I'm thinking for $4000 running it on the hose comp chk and a visual going over should be ok? Or am I stupid?
    This will be my third ski (first Seadoo) Both of my other skis I got in pieces and rebuilt my self.But they were 2 strokeand I'm not familular with the rotax

+1
    not sure the specs on the 4tec but as with any other engine, something over 130, make sure all 3 cylinders have around the same compression.

Checking it on the hose will not give you accurate test, it has to be underload, (on the water) you need to get it on the water and check for leaks, cavitation and so
    forth.

Do a visual inspec, dont let him pressure you, take your time and make sure nothing is rigged, broken JBWelded, or taped. If you take it to a dealer to check the B.U.D.S. they can see, RPM history,codes, and past serviced info. I'm not sure how much this would cost, but it could be well worth it.

I would stay away from a 2004 or 2005's. They are prone to dropping valves. Especially if they did not winterize it before it was not used anymore. Take it from me, my 05 RXP dropped a valve and now I am out $2000 for a new engine. It only had 36 hours.
    Last edited by bryanw80; 10-25-2009 at 11:39 PM.

How about the 06's when did they switch to the metal sc washers?
    Last edited by rsmith; 10-25-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: I can't spell

2006+ are not prone to dropping valves, even-though it can still happen. They did not start using the metal clutch washers until 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    How about the 06's when did they switch to the metal sc washers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information