Thread: Single Trailer

Canadian Beaver Inspector jkindt's Avatar

Single Trailer

I need a trailer for my Polaris SL650. I was hoping to find one local, but this appears to be a more difficult task than I thought here in the 'Great White North'

Does anyone have any plans for an aluminum bolt together (no welding if possible) single trailer. I want to use aluminum to keep the weight down so my Honda doesn't leave its transmission at the launch.

I can weld steel, so if I have to I will build one out of steel, but again, I still need plans for one of these. Axles, springs, rims, tires, etc are readily available to me, so parts wont be an issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have seen others modify a flat bed utility trailer to hold a PWC. They added brackets and bunks, waterproofed the lights and wiring (or use a boat trailer lighting kit).

As long as the trailer itself can handle the dunking (in fresh water, so not as big a rust concern as the salt water places), the trailer should last a few years.

Got any cheap utility trailers for sale in your area?

You can get ahead of the curve and buy this trailer, so as your fleet expands you will have room for them all

My brother was just saying the same thing today. He is convinced that I NEED to get a double trailer. He says that he knows me better than I know myself and that I WILL end up with more than one ski for sure. He is probably right! I just want something that my car can tow, I don't want to have to buy an SUV or a truck just to be able to go to the lake! Besides, if I am having so much difficulty trying to find a used single in my area, it shouldn't be too hard to sell a single later. Maybe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jkindt View Post
    ...I just want something that my car can tow, I don't want to have to buy an SUV or a truck just to be able to go to the lake!...
    What car do you have?

Automatic or manual transmission?

What is the car's tow weight rating?

Hitch weight rating?

1996 Acura Integra, not sure of the tow capacity, but probably around 1000lbs (class 1), manual transmission. Not the most ideal tow vehicle, but its what I own at the moment. I was hoping an aluminum trailer and ski together would weigh less than about 800lbs and make it possible to tow with my car.

BUT with that being said, I have been looking at a Ford Escape lately that would solve all my towing issues. It would pull a double no problem!

+1
    You can tow a double PWC trailer with the Acura, but everything would be in the gray zone.

The biggest issues would be emergency braking and emergency handling with the loaded trailer, and traction when pulling the loaded trailer up a wet launch ramp.

Clutch slippage when starting up the ramp would be a factor.

Traction control and good wet grip tires can help with launch ramp efforts, to a degree.

Short haul driving can be handled by the 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission, just keep the RPM higher than normal (lower gear selections), and accelerate at a moderate pace.

Yeah, I know the Acura isn't the most ideal. That's why I wanted an aluminum single trailer. I will just wait and see if I get a different vehicle before spring.

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    i pull my 95 750 slt with a 06 ford focus it does ok on the freeway. it pulls up the ramp good and the ski is on a steel trailer that weighs 200lbs. the focus only has a 4 cylinder. there are ski out there with more power.

Thread Information