Thread: Idle Surge?

Idle Surge?

Finally got my 1300 out of the garage after rebuilding it. Hooked it up to the hose to let it run for a couple minutes to see if there were any water leaks etc. While at idle the rpms jump consistantly back and forth from 1000-4000rpms. It checked out fine on the pressure test before I put it in there but could it be a possible air leak? I dont have an efi controller but im running riva stuffers, filter, removed the screens in air box and a free flow and d-plate. When I looked at the plugs they were all wet with gas/oil but no signs of water. Need some input.

also no water from pissers

Just a heads up not necessarily related to you issue at hand. I pulled the screens out of the air box on mine when i had it and it was fine during the summer. When I sold it the new owner he rode in the early part of the season when it was pretty cool out. He was getting a lean condition so we had to add a riva controller and it fixed the issue. Keep an eye on running this thing in cooler temps with a gutted airbox. Lots of air with same amount of fuel..

sounds like there may be a leak somewhere, should not surge like that, as for the pissers, usually very little to nothing comes out of those when on flush kit

+1
    Check your TPS sensor with a volt meter. It should read .80 or .81 at idle and 3.75 or 3.76 at Wide open throttle. It may need adjustment. Check the main harness connection also for any corrosion. Also put some Di-electric grease in there.

+1
    spray some brake clean or carb clean right around the cylinder base of the cylinder you just replaced if it screams you know you have a leak. If not there try the head area around all 3 cylinders . I would go for an air leak over electrical since you just rebuilt it.

Quote Originally Posted by crashhard View Post
    spray some brake clean or carb clean right around the cylinder base of the cylinder you just replaced if it screams you know you have a leak. If not there try the head area around all 3 cylinders . I would go for an air leak over electrical since you just rebuilt it.
    do this as its running? i had a hard time getting the plugs on the pressure test kit to seal around the throttle body boots. i replaced the old clamps with new ones since 2 of the old ones were bent. would a leak at the t/b's cause this type of issue?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wakewhornc View Post
    do this as its running? i had a hard time getting the plugs on the pressure test kit to seal around the throttle body boots. i replaced the old clamps with new ones since 2 of the old ones were bent. would a leak at the t/b's cause this type of issue?
    yup...any air leak will cause issues...

+1
    yes while it is running, dont go crazy spraying do it in sections.

Thread Information