Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to test 08 px intercooler

Need to make sure my I cooler isn't leaking.

How do i test??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well... I think I have it right I hooked up hose water to the intake on the cooler and water is poring out of the water out line.

The only I don't have is boost running through it..!!!!!

Every time I take the out take tube off there is water in it.... is this normal?

Am I testing it wrong??

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
    Well... I think I have it right I hooked up hose water to the intake on the cooler and water is poring out of the water out line.

The only I don't have is boost running through it..!!!!!

Every time I take the out take tube off there is water in it.... is this normal?

Am I testing it wrong??
    You need to pressurize the core... to at least 10-15 psi. Use air instead of water and do a leak down test on the core.

remove the hose from the intercooler to the throtlebody and conect the water and put your hand in front of the intercooler outlet and rev it a few time .. if you have a leak you will feel some water on your hand .

i just had the same probleam with mines , and it turned out that i had a leak . a minor one

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyRXP View Post
    You need to pressurize the core... to at least 10-15 psi. Use air instead of water and do a leak down test on the core.
    Ok..

So is that air in where water would go in?

AND cap off water out?

GAUGE goes in the middle?

Sooooo lost....

Quote Originally Posted by fh23rxp-x View Post
    remove the hose from the intercooler to the throtlebody and conect the water and put your hand in front of the intercooler outlet and rev it a few time .. if you have a leak you will feel some water on your hand .

i just had the same probleam with mines , and it turned out that i had a leak . a minor one
    Do it this way...simple and concise.

This makes much more sense when looking at the computer screen vs. the iPhone...

I would just fire it up and do the hand test but she's apart right now getting some new goodies....

+1
    the long way around this and a sure fire way to tell as well with it apart is fill the cooler with water where the air normally flows then jack some air to it through the normal water inlet or outlet with the other end plugged and see if bubbles flow up into the air tubes with the water in them and u will no immediately then if its leaking........u must let the cooler dry out after this type of test but if yours is already apart its OVER........its also easier i found to jack air to the smaller water inlet and plug the water outlet to the cooler with rubber plugs when testing for a leak like this......just my method and the same way i do j-pipes after i add a O2 bung to them.......good luck!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    the long way around this and a sure fire way to tell as well with it apart is fill the cooler with water where the air normally flows then jack some air to it through the normal water inlet or outlet with the other end plugged and see if bubbles flow up into the air tubes with the water in them and u will no immediately then if its leaking........u must let the cooler dry out after this type of test but if yours is already apart its OVER........its also easier i found to jack air to the smaller water inlet and plug the water outlet to the cooler with rubber plugs when testing for a leak like this......just my method and the same way i do j-pipes after i add a O2 bung to them.......good luck!!!!!!!!!

Thanks... This is what I'll do since I just realized I offloaded my leak down gauge/adaptors when I got rid of all my 2 stroke stuff.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post

Thanks... This is what I'll do since I just realized I offloaded my leak down gauge/adaptors when I got rid of all my 2 stroke stuff.....

its SIMPLE AS PIE Bro even if u cant BAKE a CAKE...........if u have rubber plugs for the cooler water inlet & outlets one with a hole to jack the air in and the other end to hold decent pressure and air compressor to do it........ITS A DONE DID DEAL!!!!!!!!!! handle it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information