help with oil filter removal

Okay, I mostly hang out on Kawi side of this board, But my friend has a 06 FXHO that has a oil filter welded on there. I did a search of this forum and others, none with the problem he has. I am ready to puncture it with screwdriver and move on from there. Also need to know that we live on a Island and would have to ship to dealer to just get oil changed. Ski has 120 hours and we did change oil once in 08!! Yeah okay, this guy is somewhat less than average on maintaining his ski. I pumped out oil and nearly crushed the filter with claw type wrench. I have the socket type too, but it works only on Kawi's???? Is it the same size??? Now for fun part, he was in water today and beeper went off, ski has oil in bilge, pumped it out and could feel around the filter which was really oily. I'm hoping it is just the filter, So do I go ahead and puncture job or is there any special tricks that I am not aware of? To ship ski alone to Honolulu would be upwards of 500$. Plus oil change. Just looking for solutions.

+1
    I would purchase the right socket type wrench to remove it, or you can also put a piece of sand paper between the wrench and the oil filter to give it some grip. Not saying you are not but make sure you are going the right way. I would advoid the puncturing with the screwdriver, its very tight in there not like a car.

+1
    Yea, them things are on there waay too tight from the factory! I ended up having to use a pair of those gloves that have the plams covered in a grippy material. It was still a b**** and a half to get off. I had to keep regripping and turning it only maybe a few millimeters each time for over like 20x before it started easing up. I could've sworn I was turning it the wrong way by how hard it was to turn. I literally put dents in the filter, with my thumb, from squeezing it so hard. By the way...watch them ears sticking out from the manifold gasket. A few others, including myself, have cut the h*** out of there arm trying to remove the filter.

Thanks will try sandpaper today

+1
    I like to change my oil after I ride. The motor is still warm and this makes the filter much easier to remove.

+1
    I changed my buddies oil filter on his ski (I believe an 07 FX HO) and he had never removed his filter--only changed his oil (this was killing me so I removed the oil with my Oil Boy along with his filter).

So I told him to ride the $hit out of it for about 20 minutes and then bring it over. He did and put it on my lift and I extracted the oil and then...

I used a set of conduit Channel Lock pliers (rounded jaws) and his filter came right off.

I placed an old towel under the filter prior to removal to absorb any oil that leaked when the filter was removed.

Red face

Hi Guys

I have known the Yamaha filters to need removing with a screwdriver and even seen ones that were cut to bits to remove. The FX 160s were the worst. Have known blocks need to be replaced as the filter mount was so badly corroded.

This can be caused by rust between the filter and the mount if not changed regular. Also can be made worse by not putting a thin coat of fresh oil on the filter seal.

Always check the condition of the filter mount when fitting a new filter as if corrosion has occured on sealing face, leaks can occur.

On my year old 2007 fxho, I tried everything including spending money on the proper size socket. In the end I had to punch a screwdriver though the filter.

Needless to say, I coated the threads of the new filter with anti-seize paste.

My new filter was a pattern one for a Yamaha R1 1000CC sportsbike, bought of Ebay

Thread Information