Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11

    Speedometer pickup blockoff plate

    Has anyone ever heard of a speedo pickup block-off plate? My speedo doesn't work with my modded and shimmed plate and I recently rounded a phillips screw that holds it in place.

    I can't imagine the plate would be that hard to make, using the speedo pickup as a template and some 5200.

    I would think an increase in top speed would be seen without the pickup hanging down? Anyone have any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Craig


  2. #2
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    Good idea Craig. I have been meaning to block mine off for quite some time.

    Riva makes one for the GPR/XLT
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=769

    Not sure how it will fit the FZ/SHO but the bolt pattern looks the same.

  3. #3
    gmoeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, Calif
    Posts
    1,450
    +1
    9
    My speedo didn't work.... until I put it on the right way. I must have had it backwards and the speedo was reading all over the place. I happen to change rideplates and noticed I had it backwards.... I turned it around- then it worked, sort of. Top speed readings were right on with my GPS. Its a little off at lower speeds but I don't care about that. Right now I have the R&D rideplate with 2 shims.
    Jerry, still trying to get over sinus infection.... Can't do anymore testing yet.

  4. #4
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    My speedo didn't work.... until I put it on the right way. I must have had it backwards and the speedo was reading all over the place.
    Gary--I didn't think the speedo pickup could be installed backwards.

    I thought the same thing when my speedo was erratic but when I looked at it, I seem to remember thinking it could only go one way due to the radius of the pickup and radius of the ride plate indentation. Hmmmmm.

    I would like to mount some multi display gauge in the place of the stock speedo. Some type of nice gauge with digital boost, digital RPM, etc...

  5. #5
    gmoeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Hermosa Beach, Calif
    Posts
    1,450
    +1
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Gary--I didn't think the speedo pickup could be installed backwards.

    I thought the same thing when my speedo was erratic but when I looked at it, I seem to remember thinking it could only go one way due to the radius of the pickup and radius of the ride plate indentation. Hmmmmm.

    I would like to mount some multi display gauge in the place of the stock speedo. Some type of nice gauge with digital boost, digital RPM, etc...
    Okay.... so maybe I saw the speedo dangling while the plate was off and wondered if I HAD it backwards. I checked my buddy's FZR to find out which way was the correct way since he's never had his plate off.
    I suppose it could have been on correctly the entire time and I only assumed it was not on correctly.... BUT the speedo suddenly began to work somewhat properly when I RE INSTALLED the speedo. HMMMMMM!

    With regard to the multi display gauge.... I would like to do the same thing except I don't want to spend $2200.00 for the MOTEC dash. Let me know what you come up with.....

    Gary

  6. #6
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoeller View Post
    Okay.... so maybe I saw the speedo dangling while the plate was off and wondered if I HAD it backwards. I checked my buddy's FZR to find out which way was the correct way since he's never had his plate off.
    I suppose it could have been on correctly the entire time and I only assumed it was not on correctly.... BUT the speedo suddenly began to work somewhat properly when I RE INSTALLED the speedo. HMMMMMM!

    With regard to the multi display gauge.... I would like to do the same thing except I don't want to spend $2200.00 for the MOTEC dash. Let me know what you come up with.....

    Gary
    Gotcha.

    I don't really use my speedo. The only place I need to know how fast I'm going is in the 10 mph lakes and I just memorized the RPM at 10 mph GPS. I set it there and use my hillbilly cruise control (consists of 1/2 of a clothes pin stick in the gap made when squeezing the throttle). This works like a charm--it takes me about 7.5 minutes to get through that lake and my hand goes numb.

    BTW, I heard about that trick here on the Hulk!

    I have trouble justifying the price of the MoTeC AND all the goodies.

  7. #7
    mjh3ides's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Florida
    Posts
    6,799
    +1
    2,013
    Craig, the GPR blockoff might work with a little massaging. I don't have the GPR here to measure the sender, so here's a comparison pic of my Riva GPR plate & the stock SHO plate. The sender for the GPR looks like the exact same width, but longer. You could probably cut it shorter & drill new holes. You might have to grind down the little fins on the block-off though...they're designed to follow the skegs on the Riva GPR plate but might hang down with the SHO R&D plate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blockoff.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	156720   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plate.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.48 MB 
ID:	156721  

  8. #8
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    I talked to Riva to see if the speedo block off for the GP would fit the FZ/SHO and they didn't know but they did tell me that there were only 2 left in stock of those block offs and they wouldn't be making anymore.

    So, I decided to get off my butt and tinker with the ski and have just filled in the speedo sensor area with epoxy. Will post some pics once i have it all sanded and smoothed out.

  9. #9
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    I talked to Riva to see if the speedo block off for the GP would fit the FZ/SHO and they didn't know but they did tell me that there were only 2 left in stock of those block offs and they wouldn't be making anymore.

    So, I decided to get off my butt and tinker with the ski and have just filled in the speedo sensor area with epoxy. Will post some pics once i have it all sanded and smoothed out.
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Can't wait to see your pics.

    What did you do with the pickup wires? Sidecutters? Or did you grind down the speedo pickup and then fill the area in with epoxy?

    Sorry--too many questions.

  10. #10
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Now that's what I'm talking about! Can't wait to see your pics.

    What did you do with the pickup wires? Sidecutters? Or did you grind down the speedo pickup and then fill the area in with epoxy?

    Sorry--too many questions.
    Side cutters made short work of the wire

    I used a grinding wheel to rough things up then built a little mold out of some thin card board, (Coors Light Box ) taped it in place then poured the epoxy in. Won't know how it came out until i pull the card board off. Going do that in a few minutes.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. IC Blockoff Plate
    By Speed_Freak_039A in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM
  2. OPAS Blockoff plate kit for sale
    By jekvall in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2009, 07:20 AM
  3. TApping intercooler blockoff plate
    By camar0 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
  4. BOV Blockoff plate
    By MIARider in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-04-2008, 03:43 PM
  5. Anybody have a speedometer pickup laying around?
    By jgustman in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 12:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •