Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 Honda Aquatrax Electrical problem??

Hi everyone, I just bought a 2005 Honda Aquatrax with 44 hours on it. I got to test drive it and it ran great, speedo read 55mph, I don't know if it's real GPS 55MPH, but it's fast! So I go to start it up the next morning and it won't start. Gauge turns on, but nothing. Take battery to Advanced and sure enough it's dead. 0 cold cranking amps. I buy another battery for $100.00. Pop it in and before I get a chance to start it up, as soon as I connect the negative side it starts making noise. Not wanting to start up noise; a draw on the battery kind of noise. It looks like the noise is coming from an electrical module (For a lack of better word) near the battery. Something tells me this is why I had to replace a 6 month old battery that came with the ski. Whatever isn't right, is draining the battery. Any idea's? The Ski starts right up and shuts off like it should. Just a weird Electrical noise if the battery negative side is left on.

Any help is appreciated!

I build Horsepower
    +1
    Check out the main starter relay. Part# 38580-HW1-671

Its located inside the black box were you are referring to the "electrical module"

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ighlight=relay

Shawn

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Schidek View Post
    Hi everyone, I just bought a 2005 Honda Aquatrax with 44 hours on it. I got to test drive it and it ran great, speedo read 55mph, I don't know if it's real GPS 55MPH, but it's fast! So I go to start it up the next morning and it won't start. Gauge turns on, but nothing. Take battery to Advanced and sure enough it's dead. 0 cold cranking amps. I buy another battery for $100.00. Pop it in and before I get a chance to start it up, as soon as I connect the negative side it starts making noise. Not wanting to start up noise; a draw on the battery kind of noise. It looks like the noise is coming from an electrical module (For a lack of better word) near the battery. Something tells me this is why I had to replace a 6 month old battery that came with the ski. Whatever isn't right, is draining the battery. Any idea's? The Ski starts right up and shuts off like it should. Just a weird Electrical noise if the battery negative side is left on.

Any help is appreciated!

Pretty sure its your main relay!

I don't know if they're still on national backorder but if so, theres one on ebay. No cheaper than dealer but available. Mine was $72 from Hondapowersportsparts.com It's a little hassle to change but you should be able to do it. Mine was the 672 part number for my 02 Turbo. Shawn would know if it's just a superseded number or yours uses a different one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...item27ac98d28a

Thanks!

After posting I spent some time researching and figured out it was the main relay assembly. But I had no idea where it was located. I looked couldn't find the relay, although I knew what it looked like from the parts fiche. I was about to go and look for it again today, but thanks! It's in the box!

Do you guys/gals think it's ok to run the ski with that malfunctioning? I pulled the battery out so I don't drain, but if I wanted to ride it would I be fine and pull the battery/disconnect the terminal/pull a fuse when its not in use? Just until the part comes in, I read it's on back order.

Thanks again!

+1
    It will soon not turn over even with a good battery. I would buy the one on Ebay. I changed mine this last Winter before it died.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    It will soon not turn over even with a good battery. I would buy the one on Ebay. I changed mine this last Winter before it died.
    That is what I was looking for!! Thanks everyone, I truely appreciate all the help!!

2013 update

I just bought a 2005 R-12 Aquatrax 6 months ago and the same problem has come up for Me.

Display came on but green button was dead. Disconnected battery, then it run normal, an hour later It would crank but not start. and a buzzing noise from the main relay. Got another relay used from a friend, put it in everything fine.

Next day I could hear buzzing again, but the ski starts and runs fine, I'm keeping the fuse out when not in use, and have ordered another off E-Bay (seller note "last one").

On the original I measured an 1800 ohm short from fuel coil to mains contacts. Cut it open and removed the potting, nothing but 2 relays in the box and 2 suppression diodes not shown on wiring diagram.

Now the short is gone, and bench tests OK. The coils measure 315 ohm so I think it's possible to build one if they become unavailable.

Update #1 - The second relay which seemed to operate normally except for the buzzing, did not work right once in the water. No power, run good for a few seconds then run on 2 cylinders for a while. All I can figure is it wasn't giving full power to the fuel pump, and the engine was starving for gas.

I put my original (minus the case ) on and it run OK. The E-Bay one came, put it on and it ran fine for a 90 mile ride. Hope my problems are behind me for a while.

P.S. the E-bay seller re listed the relay with 2 available. Honda MAIN RELAY ASSY Aquatrax 385-80-HW1-672 which is the same as 385-80-HW1-670.
    Last edited by Florida Paul; 08-14-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Explorer3114
    Must be something in the water...lol. My 2005 F-12 ski would run normally...then just shut off. It would motor over but not restart unless I pulled the lanyard off for a few minutes and then would restart and run OK until it happened again (no errors or codes either). I borrowed a spare main relay from a friend (Paul above) and tested the ski again. Runs perfect. This did not seem like symptoms for a main relay but that's what it was. Hopefully this will help someone else trouble shoot their ski. It was a cheap fix as there seems to be plenty of them on E-bay for ~$77.

Shawn (Nitroshark)

Where is the main relay for the aquatrax located (f-12) in the black box? Can you send pics?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information