+1

Coolant Leak..2004 GTX SC LTD

Hi Folks

This has probably been discussed before ,but....... I have a small coolant leak where hose goes into the ride plate (left side of ski). I have left the grip clip on as it is such a pig to take off. I have installed a gear clamp right above it. Still leaks a tiny bit. Any suggestions??

Cheers

+1
    After doing a little digging (a diagram of a ride plate) ..I see that there is a strait pipe coming up for each side of the ride plate for the cooling hoses. Question ...Are these a screw in fit?? (note that it talks about loctite...blue loctite?)... related to the small leaking problem I have.....

Cheers

+1
    Yes, they screw on and that year they were male threaded. You can unscrew it and apply some sealant to the threads and reinstall but first you need to drain the coolant from the system by unscrewing the drain plug at the rear of the plate and opening the cap on the coolant res.

+1
    Gr8!!!
    Thanks for the info..........
    I know what I am gonna do tomorrow! (raining a bunch and the garage is nice and warm!)

Cheers
    (this is by FAR the best PWC form on the web!!)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Booner76 View Post
    Cheers
    (this is by FAR the best PWC form on the web!!)
    I agree. Welcome to the forum!

+1
    Many of us have had a little antifreeze there, and usually it just needs a good clamp. Since pulling the fittings out is much more work, it may be easier to first clamp it securely, dry it out and see if the leak persists. I slid a thin piece of metal behind the grip clamp (while holding the clamp open), then just used a cutoff wheel and carefully cut it off, then put good clamps on both sides.

Hopefully your not dealing with a cracked nipple, those nipples are made of plastic. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    Many of us have had a little antifreeze there, and usually it just needs a good clamp. Since pulling the fittings out is much more work, it may be easier to first clamp it securely, dry it out and see if the leak persists. I slid a thin piece of metal behind the grip clamp (while holding the clamp open), then just used a cutoff wheel and carefully cut it off, then put good clamps on both sides.
    I agree, one of the items on the bulletproof list are to get rid of those wire clamps and install good quality SS clamps. a lot of us have seen coolant there from time to time... those ride plate nipples/hose connections are also sealed in when the plate was installed by the manufacturer, as Vern suggested, just replace the clamp first and inspect...

I have used a pair of channel lock pliers, ground a notch in each ear and used this to remove the wire clamps.
    Last edited by Pale Rider; 01-19-2010 at 05:23 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    I agree, one of the items on the bulletproof list are to get rid of those wire clamps and install good quality SS clamps. a lot of us have seen coolant there from time to time... those ride plate nipples/hose connections are also sealed in when the plate was installed by the manufacturer, as Vern suggested, just replace the clamp first and inspect...

I have used a pair of channel lock pliers, ground a notch in each ear and used this to remove the wire clamps.
    I thought he already did that. Now that I look back it says he added a worm gear clamp above the existing clamp. There is not much room there before the clamp is on the barb of the fitting but I still dont think it should leak if the extra clamp is tight. I would remove the spring clamp and make sure the worm clamp is seated correctly on the fitting before going to far.

+1
    Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies!!!

What I did was remove the seat support,exhaust water box ,etc , so I could get my gubby little hands right in there. I'm 6'4" 220 lb so I have big hands...Anywho......while I was in there I found that the strait pipe(black plastic) was about a 1/2 turn loose. Was able to get right at that #%$ grip clip and slid it right out of the way and install a good quality gear clamps.(both sides) Let it sit for a few hours...No leak!......and since I am one of those guys that like to make sure everything is the way it should be ..check all the other gear clamps (10 ways to bullet proof your ride).
    There is only 39 hours on the ski ...so things are nice and clean.
    BTW ..I had the SC rebuilt totally (08 kit with steel washers).
    Going to do the ride plate holes when the temputature is a bit warmer(proper curing ..need 65 f or more)

Right now my Ski is sitting nice and clean and sparkly (and winterized) on the trailer in my garage.(Live in Canada) So tempted to take it out for boot!

Thanks again for the reponses!

Cheers

Thread Information