Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strainer Install Finally

I started this a while ago but ran into a few problems with my IC from all the clogging. Now the new IC is in with the strainer and the bracket. I haven't seen a high temp at all since the new IC went in and it is not going to clog withthe strainer hopefully. The bracket goest between the two supports in front of the coolant tank and works like a charm I had run a new line from the pump to the strainer to the IC but that was cake.

Don't mind the pics some came out a little fuzzy.

Attaboy!!! Who`s strainer? Just keep an eye on the hose if it is regular heater hose, notice that the original hose from the pump to IC or manifold was thick wall...I found some Gates green stripe hose to use for this!
    Nice install, one less thing to worry about! ride on!...PR...

Yeah it's regular heater hose. Is that a problem? I ran a new hose to the exhaust manifold cause the old one had sprung a leak by the fitting on the IC and I had the extra from the strainer. The strainer I got from RIVA I know there are better ones out there but this seems to do the trick. Would have helped If they had sent it with the right size barb on it I drove all over town to fine 3/4 x1/2" barbed fittings

+1
    Clean install but I have seen those strainers blow apart for no apparent reason & cause a lot of problems including filling the ski real quick.

The stock psi can get to about 55psi maybe more. Just make sure the working pressure is at least 60psi. Working pressure not burst pressure. Ace Hardware has some thick wall 100psi hose.

It's always good to keep a 3/4 barb coupler handy just incase you have a hose blow or you need to take out the strainer on the water.

I'm also going to put the water flowing in the direction the strainer says on not the reverse. After looking at my groco I can see the reason why from the looks you might want to flip it but I think if the strainer fills up the water pressure can push out the bottom when in the stock direction. Also has more pressure to release the small stuff through and not have it cake up. Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by water worx
    Clean install but I have seen those strainers blow apart for no apparent reason & cause a lot of problems including filling the ski real quick.
    After what I went through with the IC clogging this is a much better ooption for me. It's solid on the mount so it shouldn't hit into anything and break. and if it dos I have a bildge installed to clear out the mess.

A coupller and some tools to get rid of it in a pinch isn't a bad idea though. And I'll have to double check the pressure rating of that hose but I think it should be fine.

+1
    If its a "groco" strainer, which is looks like it is. You may have to reverse the directioon of waterflow from the way the arrow points. Reason is the debris it stops, you want it on the outside of the mesh, not the inside. So you can see when your getting clogged.

I havent had a problem since it's mounted right under the seat I grab it and flush it out after each ride. If this thing clogs up completly while I'm out there I must be riding in some serious garbage water lol..

G: looks real good!

Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash
    If its a "groco" strainer, which is looks like it is. You may have to reverse the directioon of waterflow from the way the arrow points. Reason is the debris it stops, you want it on the outside of the mesh, not the inside. So you can see when your getting clogged.
    I kept my Groco WSB-750 in the normal direction of flow, since I clean it after every ride, then back flush the IC anyway...PR...

Gforce: it`s not so much the water pressure, but the heat at the exhaust mainfold connection and in the hull, that makes the thin wall hoses very soft, even though the temp of the exiting water is cooler...PR...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information