Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Two up riding on '99 XPL

Hi All,

Just wondering how you all go riding two up on the XPL's? I do it a bit as all my buddies like to come out and I take a few chick friends out on the ski to.... Its unstable getting going and all that but thats half the fun. The issue im having is:

When taking of with two people i really have to rev it pretty hard to get it up on the plane and then I can back off. I only weigh 80kg's and passanger is usually that or less than. If I play with the VTS position sometimes it improves it or makes it worse. Feels as if it isnt hooking up or is caviating pretty badly. Got any ideas?

Ski has a new wear ring.
    stock except: worx grate and worx sponsons

+1
    Your ride plate may need to be re-sealed.

The manual says that you need a bottle jack between two pieces of wood to break the plate off of the hull but when I took the bolts out it pretty much fell off. The performance out of the hull was much better after I sealed the crap out of it with about 3/4 of a can of "The Right Stuff."

The drive shaft seal could also be sucking air. Take a look to see if you are taking on water while riding two up. The accordian boots get old and weak and the extra pressure of being two-up can make it leak when it otherwise would not.

When riding two-up your CG is way back where the XPL has the least amount of hull area (and thus bouyancy). Thus you are having to try to drive out of a bigger hole plus there is extra weight as well (this is also why it is rather unstable, well, the hull is not actually stable at any time but two-up is much worse).

If you put your trim all the way down it will come out of the hole better (if you have a leak down there it may still have some slipping but it will not be as bad). In fact, if riding two-up you need to be no higher than neutral trim anyway since you have so much weight to the back. Also try to sit as far forward as you can.

IMO, other than the Shelas, tell them to get their own boat.

haha No joke on the shela front! Yes im slowly convincing mates to buy skis! Im on the hunt for another XPL atm for my best mate The shelas love coming out with me on the ski! And summers around the corner whoop!

Dont think she's taking on water at all when I ride two up.... only when I flip it upside down or some times it back syphons in via the bilge pump.

So shall I try and pull of the ride plate and seal it up with a heap or silicone?

PS I fixed that ghetto sponson setup the previous owner had going on if you remember it mate! haha

+1
    I just thought of the sponsons. The stock ones help you plane (not a lot, but the XPL needs all the help it can get coming out of the hole). If you put AM sponsons on it that is cool, but they do not help you like stock ones do.

Seal the ride plate with "The Right Stuff." That is the name of the product. It is made by Permatex. Take a wire wheel on a drill to get ALL of the old sealer off. Put on some rubber gloves (TRS is some BAD stuff too) and seal the crap out of it. Seal around every bolt and around the perimeter of the plate. Once the plate is bolted up it should squish out some and you can smooth it in (like caulk) around the seam, adding some if needed to fill it in. TRS is great because once it sets it is NOT coming off, even with the water flow.

Regular silicone is not that tough.

No I never had stock ones... Remember the pics I posted up back a bit with none on their, just had some funky backing plates ect?

Ok, so I pull the ride plate and clean all the old silicon and shit off it, and put a bead of TRS around the egde of it, chuck it on and then ensure its got a good seam of it around it? Just wondering if ill be able to do it on the trailer or will the back roller make it impossible to get the ride plate off....

Will go to my local auto parts store soon and see if the can track me down some of this TRS

+1
    I am not sure what you have down under but NAPA and Autozone carry it here.

If the trailer is in the way you can usually pull the boat back some to get the plate clear. Once it is clear of the trailer, lock your winch back down and put a little tension on the strap and you can yank away without worry.

Besides, and XPL is heavy in the front (and middle if full of gas). It has to come well back to be in danger of tilting.

I disagree with the other poster's recommendation about the ride plate. The ride plate is rarely the problem if you have cavitation. The ride shoe (AKA Deflector) is the part you need to worry about & re-seal. You have to pull the ride plate to get at the shoe, so you will be re-sealing the ride plate anyway. The other posters were correct about what you will find. Both the ride plate and shoe normally need to be pried off, but you will likely find they will both just fall out without much coaxing.....

Another name for the Right Stuff is Ultra Black silicone sealant.

So what do I need to do to the "ride Shoe" then? What does it look like? I've never herd of this part but im new to the sport...

+1
    The Pump Shoe is glued onto the bottom of the hull and forms the lower part of the tunnel. The black plastic piece that your pump mates up to is the back end of the Pump Shoe. The studs for the pump go through it.

The part with no number right in the middle of the diagram is the Pump Shoe.
    http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....pe=13&A=64&B=7

I have had to seal three ride plates and never a ride shoe on a Sea Doo.

Make of that what you will.

Ultra-Black silicone IS NOT THE SAME THING as The Right Stuff. There is a reason that one is priced more or less three times higher than the other.

Sqirt out a bead of both and let them set. Then tell me that they are the same thing.

Cheers Krunch....

Ill just do as you said as you've helped me alot in the past and all your info has been spot on Thumbs up mate!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information