Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1

    16psi wheel and powershot?

    The guy who works on my ski just replaced my B1 with a 16psi wheel. I was very skeptical because I continually heard that the upgrade from a B1 to a 16psi wheel would not make a difference because the powershot is limited to 10psi. However, I am seeing a tremendous difference in acceleration and top end speed with the powershot and 16 psi wheel over the B1 wheel I previously had.

    So my question is, is it possible that powershot is not as limited as thought and has anyone experienced similar gains if they’re running a similar set up to mine? I do not have a boost gauge but see a huge difference between the B1 and 16psi while using a powershot for both.


  2. #2
    Whats that whistling noise? jtskier11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Right side of Kansas
    Posts
    4,342
    +1
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by tsho View Post
    The guy who works on my ski just replaced my B1 with a 16psi wheel. I was very skeptical because I continually heard that the upgrade from a B1 to a 16psi wheel would not make a difference because the powershot is limited to 10psi. However, I am seeing a tremendous difference in acceleration and top end speed with the powershot and 16 psi wheel over the B1 wheel I previously had.

    So my question is, is it possible that powershot is not as limited as thought and has anyone experienced similar gains if they’re running a similar set up to mine? I do not have a boost gauge but see a huge difference between the B1 and 16psi while using a powershot for both.
    You may still only be seeing 10 pounds. But due to the blade profile its gonna flow a bit more air. Hence the extra power felt.

  3. #3
    Phil.Borg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney AUS
    Posts
    403
    +1
    3
    will you be doing any checks on your boost numbers? im wanting to use the e1 wheel as well, that way IF a do go motec/vipec i already got the big wheel

  4. #4
    CT Marsh Dredging Crew STItaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    975
    The bigger wheel will give you more boost at lower RPM.
    Some people also seem to hit slightly more than 10psi on the Powershot... I think there have been reports of 11-12psi.

  5. #5
    Phil.Borg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney AUS
    Posts
    403
    +1
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by STItaxi View Post
    The bigger wheel will give you more boost at lower RPM.
    Some people also seem to hit slightly more than 10psi on the Powershot... I think there have been reports of 11-12psi.
    can you tell me how it would give you more boost at lower rpm's then higher? wouldnt the wheel spining faster (higher rpm's) cause more boost?

  6. #6
    CT Marsh Dredging Crew STItaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    975
    Quote Originally Posted by SQURTN View Post
    can you tell me how it would give you more boost at lower rpm's then higher? wouldnt the wheel spining faster (higher rpm's) cause more boost?
    The bigger wheel will produce higher boost levels throughout the full RPM range (above 2-3k RPM). He would also see more boost in the upper RPM range, but the ECU is probably closing the throttle plate at this point and limiting the amount of air going to the engine so he won't hit anywhere near 16psi.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by STItaxi View Post
    The bigger wheel will produce higher boost levels throughout the full RPM range (above 2-3k RPM). He would also see more boost in the upper RPM range, but the ECU is probably closing the throttle plate at this point and limiting the amount of air going to the engine so he won't hit anywhere near 16psi.

    But I have to believe it’s getting a lot more than the 10psi limit as advertised on the powershot. I was running a B1 with the powershot for two months which was suppose to be limited at 10psi. Now, with the 16psi wheel and powershot I see a HUGE difference over the B1 which leads me to believe that there is a lot more available boost than 10psi with the powershot.

    “Cuchun,” who is a member on this site, stated that he gets 13 psi with the big wheel and powershot. I’m wondering if there are more people out there getting the same results?

  8. #8
    CT Marsh Dredging Crew STItaxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    975
    Hook it up to a boost gauge and see - I'd be interested to hear what you get.

    These discussions make me wonder if the ECU/Powershot are still able to deliver sufficient fuel at boost levels above 10psi, or if they are running fueling with the assumption the boost peaks at 10 pounds...

  9. #9
    Site Admin Green Hulk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Morgan City, LA
    Posts
    36,398
    +1
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by STItaxi View Post
    Hook it up to a boost gauge and see - I'd be interested to hear what you get.

    +1

    I would also like to see an air fuel gauge hooked up to ensure the powershot is delivering adequate fuel for the higher boost levels. Better safe than sorry!

    http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=150

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    +1

    I would also like to see an air fuel gauge hooked up to ensure the powershot is delivering adequate fuel for the higher boost levels. Better safe than sorry!

    http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=150

    I am more of a recreational skier and newbie (6 months) so I probably won’t purchase the gauge. But if you know the poster named “Cuchun” you could probably ask him and trade technical terms since you might have a better understanding of how he is getting better boost with the powershot. I believe he may have posted that on his gauge with the powershot and bigwheel he would initially get 16psi than it would drop to 13psi

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. FS riva E1 SC wheel and R&D powershot
    By 305coco in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM
  2. FS. Green wheel and RR thru hull
    By suck my wake in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-09-2008, 08:03 AM
  3. Prop changes required? Green Wheel and XS from 14/19R
    By snowrunner in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
  4. WTB: Green wheel or same type wheel, and Pump Wedge
    By JonnyRXT in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 11:29 AM
  5. Green wheel and really cold water/air temp
    By cfnnslsq in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2008, 10:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •