Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Hone job on 4tecs.

Guys I have a block that suffered a over heat issue and toasted the rings on the motor. Well I have it apart and want to do a hone on the bores for the new rings and I just want to be sure I have all my ducks in a row before I just slap a hone and go.

1. Do I need to do it with cross hatch still visible?(I think glazing)

2. If so what is the best way as to not take very much out of the bore?

3. I have never actually had to do but just one block and for it I new it need a good hone and a check, but with this block it is a 30 hour block that just suffered a over heat to weekin the rings to the point were I had major leak down.

Any thought would be great.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    Guys I have a block that suffered a over heat issue and toasted the rings on the motor. Well I have it apart and want to do a hone on the bores for the new rings and I just want to be sure I have all my ducks in a row before I just slap a hone and go.

1. Do I need to do it with cross hatch still visible?(I think glazing)

2. If so what is the best way as to not take very much out of the bore?

3. I have never actually had to do but just one block and for it I new it need a good hone and a check, but with this block it is a 30 hour block that just suffered a over heat to weekin the rings to the point were I had major leak down.

Any thought would be great.
    If it was mine I would just bore one size over get the proper pistons and be done with it. I had my block bored and the shop charged me like 85 bucs. simple and easy.

+1
    A rigid hone, will smooth it out, and remove the glazing. Just keep the hone moving up and down and keep it lubed well. I used marvel mystery oil on one of mine, but ATF will work also. It won't take out very much material. Should be fine, unless the cyls are gouged, or scored pretty deep.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    If it was mine I would just bore one size over get the proper pistons and be done with it. I had my block bored and the shop charged me like 85 bucs. simple and easy.

I can't think that a hone wont do the job with new rings this block still measures NEW min. Limits. NOT max. as it is only 30 hours.

+1
    You can buy a stone hone at most autoparts store and do it with a drill but I agree with Joe get a shop to do it so the hone is is straight and right.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    autozone sells it for about 15 buucks.
    lube up your walls,
    keep the same speed and movement from top to bottom
    dont let the stone sit in one place.
    make sure you keep it lubed or else the stones will grip the wall and break.

+1
    save yourself a lot of trouble and get a BALL end hone with all the lilttle stone balls on the ends like a porcupine as these are less apt to cause any damage and are extremely forgiving for what u want to do and are what i call fool proof to use.....i would also use a cordless drill that doesnt spin all that fast............either lube it with light oil or solvent as others have said move up and down as evenly as possible and DONT do it all night and it should be fine.....all u r looking to do is get a small cross hatch scuff to seat the rings. ...good luck!

+1
    You need a true adjustable bar hone. Most sell for around $400. Any of those useless ball hones or Autozone crap just follow the lumps and valleys and make it worse. Had the same true hone since the middle 90s in the 2stroke days.

Quote Originally Posted by REID2168 View Post
    save yourself a lot of trouble and get a BALL end hone with all the lilttle stone balls on the ends like a porcupine as these are less apt to cause any damage and are extremely forgiving for what u want to do and are what i call fool proof to use.....i would also use a cordless drill that doesnt spin all that fast............either lube it with light oil or solvent as others have said move up and down as evenly as possible and DONT do it all night and it should be fine.....all u r looking to do is get a small cross hatch scuff to seat the rings. ...good luck!
    These are the best hones. We call them dunny drush hones as they look like one. Around 20 to 30 seconds should be fine each cylinder.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    You need a true adjustable bar hone. Most sell for around $400. Any of those useless ball hones or Autozone crap just follow the lumps and valleys and make it worse. Had the same true hone since the middle 90s in the 2stroke days.

So the 20 dollar bar hones at oreally's and napa are junk?

Hell I have honed 25 to 40 2 strokes, and all ran for a long time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information