Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

The Women of K38 Rescue

Well, honestly there are only a few of us..LOL
    Here is the 2009 editions

I'm still uploading images on this site (sorry about the link transfer)

http://www.k38watersafety.com/forum/...ead.php?t=2521

2009 IJSBA quakysense World Finals
    Lake Havasu, City Arizona
    K38 PWC Safety Summit: October 6-19, 2009

This is my second year being able to work with other women to train them for event management and course marshaling techniques. I am very honored to be doing so. I am 48 years of age and I want to exit before I turn 50, so the clock is winding down and I want to hand this good work off to others.

I have been privilged to enjoy the leadership role as the IJSBA Water Safety Director for many years. As the head course marshal I have been blessed with working alongside Joe Barron, the leading authority in terms of years of service to the track, I pay him the highest of compliments and thank him for assisting in training others.

Please enjoy the random photos from my leadership, event and safety training and work duties below:

SEMPER SPERO
    Shawn Alladio

Teaching the group about race course set up

Demonstrating to the students reboarding techniques (not underway)

Stern reboarding technique

Lanyard placement, counting! Get it done under 7 seconds folks!

Alladio on the starting line of a Pro/Am Runabout Closed Course Race

Speaking wtih Micah from Poland about work

I have staff up in the flagging tower during practice on the first Monday to teach them the course layout and response zones as safety corridors and thruways. And also for them to observe the officiating needs of how to mnanage the track during a race in progress.

Shawn Alladio Checking backside. Never let a race boat come up on your back silently and swiftly, your head must be on a swivel for personal protection.

Alladio on the starting line during Race # 22 in Progress

Pre race training for the course marshal staff in racer and vessel recovery tactics and considerations. Here pictured role playing with Mirek K. from K38 Poland.

During pre race training Shawn role plays with Kuba on active racer recovery and tracklines. Not so easy really to be on target with secondary and tier level strategies while a race is in progress.

Cesare Vismara's final race prior to his death on the Pro/Am Runabout start. #1 SRB forever....reposa en pace.

Alladio sitting back and watching K38 students role play and run through their training paces prior to the World Finals race week commencement. My staff wears a full 'kit' consisting of foot/hand protection, Lifejacket, full wetsuit, and a helmet. This is a stressor for us in heat exceeding 100 degrees farenheit. We also have to work every single race of every single day with no breaks from 5:30am to sunset. I push my team hard to provide the absolute best coverage possible for our international racers. We are fortunate to have the blessing at World Finals of quakysense for donating our riding apparel for our uniforms.

Wearing a full 'kit' ensures our safety from abrasion, friction, sunburn and mishaps. A cut can lead to an infection, sunburn can be very dangerous and chafing against the PWC can lead to bleeding. We have to protect our bodies with a second layer of 'skin' using our quakysense gear. We are working the track all day long, and cannot afford an infection or a laceration, the work is extremely demanding, we have to be race fit and race ready at all times.

Photo that Kay Syskes took of our team after one of my briefings. Our work is very dangerous on the track and our lives are on the line. I ask that we all put our lives in one another's hands in trust and respect.
    'nobody dies'.

Photo Credits belong to the following:
    K38 Rescue-Dorota
    Havasu Photo
    Hydrotoys.com
    Hypnoticfilms.net
    Kay Sykes
    Last edited by shawn alladio; 11-01-2009 at 01:54 AM.

+1

Teaching the staff about banner placement for event management.
    Pleasing the needs of marketing for our sponsors is key to the survival of an event.

Working with Mirek on hanging the larger banners. We pay attention to the detials,
    tension, wind, direction of view, photographic opportunity, clean up and nice lines.

Giving my team tips on how I want them to place the banners for all the IJSBA
    sponsors so their signage and branding is visible, prominent and will not break
    down if a spectator pulls or pushes on a banner or the wind comes up. I
    don't want any staff to have to go back over 10 days of exposure to repair one zip tie or corner, so I'm pretty strict on how I want the original placement to be conducted.

Course Marshal training on recovery of a downed athelte. Sometimes the pick ups vary from slow to idle speed to throttle applications. Most of the time we drive with one hand and hold onto our passenger, it varies due to the unique circumstances of each recovery.

Not as easy as it looks. We mix up the training scenarios so that the easy is the
    last thing in our mind. We always train for a worst case scenario for each and every day until we leave the venue site.

Practice of towing a downed boat. We use short haul lines for towing with large quick release carabeeners.

Teaching them to work in confined close quarters with other boats in the way.
    A very difficult training element that can damage boats, break hands or knuckles and
    promise course marshals of the arduous task ahead. When they are place under
    pressure then we know what they are capable of workin the track. Like I said I am not
    easy or gentle on them, becuase I expect them to come home at the end of every day.
    There is a price paid for that. It's called totatl commitment and focus. This focus takes
    energy and a special mindset.

Working with Marta on an injury transport during our role playing.
    These types of recoveries are never the same, so we have to train to the
    worst of situations, under pressure and the motto is: KEEP THINKING KEEP MOVING!

Going over our docking concerns when the swells change direction so as we don't damage our boats for work. Weather and environmental concerns are a large part of our event
    management concerns. We are facing a lot of personal stressors due to hours underway and glare, water movement, radio noise, stress, and the worst part for me is breathing all the race exhaust fumes. I get sick to my stomach, severe headaches plague the team and we are mindful of carbon monixide exposures in low levels. Our diet and rest is critical but our days are not long enough.

Rigging our Kawasaki ULTRA LX's work boats. Always focused. I check and double
    check every single detail. One small disregard for one item can mean an complete
    cluster on the water in a crisis. I am very disciplined about my gear and rigging.

Heading to the flagging tower to hang quakysense banners!

+1

Thank you to Kay Sykes for your gentle and sweet caring nature. The AWA for defending our Right to Ride and the IJSBA for believing in my work enough to allow me permission to work the track for the best racers in the world. And the K38 Course Marshal team, they have 'heart and soul'.

Dorota at the boathouse

Marta Friedenberger-1st female Certified Course Marshal

Marta with the men at the trailer going over setting up course options

Marta

Shawn teaching the crew about course set up and design/maintenance

Micah, Kuba and Marta - K38 Coursre Marshals
    K38 Poland

Dorota and Marta in the Vendor Alley

Shameless plug of my racing support from our Clothing company...LOL
    Last edited by shawn alladio; 10-30-2009 at 04:41 PM. Reason: changed font color & typos

+1

Thumbs up

Excellent Photos!

+1

Ben K38 Uk
    Shawn K38 International
    Kuba K38 Poland

Marta-K38 Poland, Shawn and Fabio from K38 Italy

Shawn instructing the team on launching and loading procedures. We were working with
    6 Kawasaki Jet Skis. F-15's and Ultra's

Marta on Pre-Operations of our Kawasaki Jet Skis

Kuba and Marta

Shawn and Fabio during training exercises for the Course Marshals

Moderated
    one word ...calender!!!!

+1
    Oldies & Goodies

Love those Twin Screws!

USMC Recon training with students in the re-warming station...

Camp Pendleton

Above photos by www.DavidPuu.com

Aaron Cress coaching me on Pump grease packing....yeah baby.

United Warrior Survivor Foundation Ride on September 12, 2009

My wonderful Kawasaki Jet Ski Ultra Race Boat #69

And my great little Kawasaki 15-F

Great pics/info!

Banned User
    +1
    Thanks you Shawn, and K38 for all that you do.

Oh, and you forgot a few.....

+1
    Oh yeah! Those are the real pics! Where I'm yelling at the team!
    I love those! I'm not easy with the team for good measure. They have to produce in extremely stressful situations from boredome, danger, exhaustion and environmental, and of course me! LOL
    One reason the team is so good, they are put under a lot of stress and they keep moving through it... I like those pics, thanks so much!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information