Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I finally did it!

My girlfriend is scared of the water (well lakes and the ocean, she will get in a pool) but somehow I managed to get her out on the water with me today, in the rain even! I put her on my Tigershark while I rode my XP that is now taking on water from a broken VTS boot. But she says she had fun and I am working on getting her out there more and more, the spring/summer time where I spend my entire weekends would suck without her otherwise!

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Good for you man However... you need to plant her on a Doo, and she'll be hooked

I would have but with her being so nervous I wanted her on something more stable and not leaking water. The XP is fine IF you don't stop for more than 2-3 minutes and ride fast so the suction system will work, which she wasn't going to do.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    If she wants stability... buy her a GTX or RXT... she will love it!

PS... if she's happy, you will be happy! (if you know what I mean)

Oh I know what you mean...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Runner View Post
    ...she says she had fun and I am working on getting her out there more and more...
    If she is the type who enjoys learning new skills and being involved, teach her how to do the pre and post launch checks (drain plugs, oil level, fuel level, tight gas cap, safety gear, check for water in the bilge, etc).

Also post ride stuff like guiding ski onto the trailer, blowing out the excess water in the water box, strapping the skis to the trailer.

And even the trailer related stuff - how to hook up and unhook a trailer, check the lights, do the walk around, check tires and wheel bearings for excess heat after a tow, and so on.

The more she knows, the less she will feel out of the loop, and more in control.

And of course, teach her how to re-board in deep water, recover from a roll over, and ride smart and safe

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Speaking as a chick that rides, standing around while my man does all the work is a drag. Having your lady involved and participating in the whole launching and trailering process will give her more confidence around the skis. All the things K lists are good things for her to know how to do.

While you're wrenching on your ski, try to get her to help you, even if it's handing you a wrench or screwdriver or tightening a gear clamp. Seeing how the machine works can help build confidence too. Handing you a beer doesn't qualify .

If she gets to read this thread, she can read that I do all that stuff with K; the safety checks, hook ups, tie down, etc..., even backing down the ramp (we tow a double) and being his assistant wrench

Riding is exhilarating. When you both know the related stuff, it makes it even more fun. You're in it together.

You both have good points and she does help me work on them all the time. I didn't go over anything about the towing or launching with her as it was raining and I was trying to hurry (yeah, so I don't get wet before jumping in the lake, made since at the time).

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Runner View Post
    she does help me work on them all the time.

+1
    I can't believe not one Tigershark joke yet...

I'm just glad she is still with you after you put her on a Tigershark!

Congrats man, just make sure to tell her about the big pookweeigies that live at the bottom of the lake that know "new" swimmers.

I vote for getting her involved in the trailer process to, but don't get pissed if she isn't as meticiouls as you...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information