Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Every adventure comes to an end........ Not Today! wreckingball's Avatar
    +1

Exclamation Help? 03 GP1300r engine troubles.

Ok, so I bought my GPR with a blown motor about 2 months ago. The number 2 cyl connecting rod lower bearing discinigrated and ruined the case, number 2 cyl piston and head.

With a lot of help from other GH members, I now have a new (used parts) motor.

So my wife went out of town to go watch her collage football (USC) team with her best friends for the weekend. So this means that there is no one here to remind me of the things I am supposed to be getting done around the house. So I built my motor in the living room last night.

One of the things that I noticed while putting on the front cover (stator) was that it looked like there had been water intrusion. And the oil injection pump had a broken tab from someone trying to install it upside down(that is exactly how it was still mounted).

Side note- I need a block off plate or new pump.

So here is my problem:

I intalled everything into the ski today. When I started up the motor, it had a really bad stumbling problem. Starts fine, but does not really idle well. When giving the throttle a little blip, it stumples then revs up. But not cleanly. It struggles to bring the rpms up, and then when they do come up it tried to race. Alsmost like a lean symptom, but when I pulled the plugs to check them, they were wet?

I'm sure that I'm missing something in my description, so ask away. It's 10 pm, and I am tired and going to bed. Taking my mx bike to the track in the morning. Hey, gotta take advantage of every moment when the wifes away! LOL

+1
    Also, I did ohm the injectors, and they all had about 13.8 ohms of resistance.

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball View Post
    So my wife went out of town to go watch her collage football (USC) team with her best friends for the weekend. So this means that there is no one here to remind me of the things I am supposed to be getting done around the house. So I built my motor in the living room last night.
    gotta love this guy....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
    gotta love this guy....

Hey, I put down a tarp first. And I made sure that I stayed away from her new couches! I don't see anything wrong with that.... As long as she doesn't find out!

+1
    No suggestions anyone? Did I post this in the right area?

+1
    You should try and pressure test. You may have a air leak if it ran away from you.

So here is my problem:

I intalled everything into the ski today. When I started up the motor, it had a really bad stumbling problem. Starts fine, but does not really idle well. When giving the throttle a little blip, it stumples then revs up. But not cleanly. It struggles to bring the rpms up, and then when they do come up it tried to race. Alsmost like a lean symptom, but when I pulled the plugs to check them, they were wet?
    My 03 runs the exact same way when it's out of the water. It runs like crap compared to a carbed ski. I always assumed it's a load issue with the EFI. The only difference is that mine idles very well, but has the exact same stumble and is hard to rev it out. On the water, it's perfect. Just did 70.1 mph yesterday afternoon.

+1
    I just found another thread last night that the engine symptoms were the same. After rebuilding his motor, he had an air leak in his case. I think he said that he had a bad weld.

I don't have a case that has any welds on it, but I'm going to do a compression check on the motor some time this week when I can find the time. I'm pretty convinced that there is air getting into the case by the way my motor ran like it was lean. We'll see as soon as I get the materials together to do the test.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    You should try and pressure test. You may have a air leak if it ran away from you.
    I think you may be correct.

I just found another thread last night that the engine symptoms were the same. After rebuilding his motor, he had an air leak in his case. I think he said that he had a bad weld.

I don't have a case that has any welds on it, but I'm going to do a compression check on the motor some time this week when I can find the time. I'm pretty convinced that there is air getting into the case by the way my motor ran like it was lean. We'll see as soon as I get the materials together to do the test.
    Definitely do a check for air leaks. I don't know what the spec is on these motors, but it should be able to hold about 10 psi for a good bit. A compression test won't show any air leaks, but it sounds like you're going to also air leak test the motor once you get the parts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information