Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Need suggestions for a new tow vehicle!

I currently have an 05 Nissan Xterra SE. It's a pig on gas. 14/mpg I believe. However, I do love the truck... it has plenty of power. But, it's more power than I really need. I'm considering trading it in for something more economical. I've heard some members here towing their ski's with an Altima or Mazda3!

I'd be towing an RXP-X on a Triton Elite alum trailer. I'd really like something that is good on gas and yet, still reliable for towing. It doesn't have to be an SUV... I'm open to just about anything! Thanks!

I have had a few people come buy jetskis from me pulling their skis with VW Jetta TDI's (turbo diesel) saying they get any where from 35-45mpg while pulling their ski.

Erik, one thing to consider is towing capacity. Find the vehicle you like, look at their specs to see towing capacity. I know laws and vehicle are diff in CA.
    example: you can tow with a Versa anywhere BUT the USA... some kind of legal scheemgle crap and the manufacturer will void warranty just for having the hitch in place...

next go to:
    www.etrailer.com and input your vehicles info in the Hitch hunter to see what you options are for class I and II receivers...

+1
    Look at the Ford Fusion. my folk bought one a year ago its a 2008 only options it dosent have are NAV and all wheel drive. paid 16,000 for it with 30,000kms now has 50k problem free so far.

+1
    14 mpg?
    Good gosh, my V-8 Sequoia gets better than that....

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tempest.runner View Post
    ...I'd be towing an RXP-X on a Triton Elite alum trailer.

I'd really like something that is good on gas ... I'm open to just about anything! Thanks!
    The GH Trailer forums have a number of threads that discuss tow vehicle options.

A single PWC on an aluminum trailer is within the tow ratings for almost any vehicle that has a tow rating.

I would say the main criteria would be the other things you would use the vehicle for - multiple passengers, cargo space, fuel economy, comfort, etc.

Front wheel drive is just fine for a single PWC trailer. If it has good wet grip tires, then even the launch ramps shouldn't be too much trouble.

I pull a double PWC trailer with a front wheel drive car, and have had wheel slippage concerns only a couple of times (loose gravel and wet seaweed on the ramps). Even then, I was up the ramp and into the parking area in under two minutes.

If you choose a car with soft rear springs, you can stiffen them up with 'air bags', such as the Air Lift 1000 air bags I installed. Installation was not very difficult, mostly time spent getting them properly positioned, and routing the air line.

The air bags not only improved handling and greatly reduced rear suspension sag with the trailer hooked up, but it improved ride quality even without the trailer.

Manual and CVT transmissions can suffer when used for towing, and especially for launch ramp work. Many folks do tow with manual transmissions without trouble, and some of the newer generations of CVT transmissions do carry tow weight ratings, which the earlier versions were not happy doing.

You do not need huge amounts of power or weight to tow a single PWC trailer. The extra weight and drag of the trailer will be felt, and acceleration will be less energetic, but the flip side is that you will see reasonable fuel economy, both with and without the trailer.

It is OK for the engine to work harder when towing. It will not wear out in a hurry, and will burn less fuel all the time.
    Last edited by K447; 11-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    Look at the Ford Fusion. my folk bought one a year ago its a 2008 only options it dosent have are NAV and all wheel drive. paid 16,000 for it with 30,000kms now has 50k problem free so far.

I've looked at the Fusions, The V6 is rated for 1000 lbs, the 4cyl, and Hybred are unrated...

I would say just go for it EXCEPT for 1 little warning:
    I had a Mazda-6 (Built on the same line with the same Engines/Transmissions). I towed my RXT ALOT, but then I blew the transmission right out of it (it was replaced under warranty, and when the service manager asked about the hitch, I replied, "what hitch, oh that? it's for my bike rack ) now, I believe that the tranny may have gone due to a improper fluid change, BUT...

JP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2006.05.06-2.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	492.1 KB 
ID:	157325  

+1
    Fusion has the same drive line as the ford Escape with the tried and true 3.0L V6. The Escape chassie is built ALOT cheaper then the fusion chassie. I am willing to bet your tranny problem was not a result of you towing a jetski. All i do is fix Fords at my work from mech to body i do it all. As long as it has a V6 you should be good for 1500lbs heck the new 4cyl civics are rated for 1500lbs. I dont tow with the fusion but i wouldnt have a problem towing the rxp with it.

Also another ride were happy with is are 2005 Jeep grand cherokee with a V6 and we tow a 5500lb boat with it. Now has 150,000km's and have owed it since new and have also never had a problem with it. it was close in price to a ford escape but built way better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Rider View Post
    next go to:
    www.etrailer.com and input your vehicles info in the Hitch hunter to see what you options are for class I and II receivers...
    Yes, this is the best place to purchase any trailer hitch, don't get rapped by the dealers. When I purchased my 09 Silverado the dealer wanted $700 for a trailer pack. I purchased the same pack for $250 (installed it myself).

+1
    I tow a GTXSC with a VW jetta diesal and no problems. Runs along with the traffic and still gets 35 or so on the road. Without the trailer will do 45 or so on the highway.

Drive one you will like it.
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information