Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1200 (65U) Exhaust Manifold Removal

Anybody got any tips? This thing is giving me a work out. All the bolts are out, but it must be hung up on the pins. I vividly beat (not whaled, but more than a tap) on it with a rubber mallet and also squeezed a 1x2 between it and the cylinders and tried a little prying, but no go. A little heat is going to be my next option, unless somebody has a better one.

Thanks In Advance.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but are you positive all the bolts are out? I haven't heard of this problem before. How many hours are on it?

Hey man, no offense taken. I'm pretty sure that they are all out, but I'll double check. I ony took the long ones out (12 or 14 I think) and left the small ones in. I've put maybe 20 hours on it since I had it off last summer (rebuilding every year is becoming my thing).

I haven't had this problem before either.

bolts

Mr. Bill is right, there are 4 bolts per cylinder and the center bottom bolts are a real pain to get at. The first time I pull mine down i missed them.
    good luck!

I've got the engine out and took out the 4 bolts per cylinder. I'm pretty sure that its hung up on the mounting pins.......somehow. I'll get it off.

Sure wish they had pry tabs like they do on the pump.

+1
    There are 12 long bolts four per cylinder. I have pulled two of these recently and one is still sitting on my bench. I have not had one stuck this tight verify you have all the bolts out. You can find a manual in the how to section here if you do not have one.

OsideBill

+1
    It should come out Superd, but the exhaust side is a little sticky, be patient Grasshopper. What is the motor coming out for? Sleeper kit maybe?

+1
    superd has been doing this way to long to have missed bolts. Im thinking a little heat and your rubber mallot and its comming off.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Joe.

No sleeper kit Brandon. I've got everything on this ski as is, except a lightened flywheel and tripples. I've got your old 46 mm Buckshots, Riva ported cylinders, Riva head, T&W crank, Reed stuffers, raider 1100 stinger, raider 1100 waterbox, Riva CDI, Riva f/a's, 84.5 mm pistons, protec grate, Riva ride plate, Riva sponsons, a few different props, a few water tricks and I'm sure I missed a few things.

Its almost funny this thing is stuck soo bad. I heated it last night and went to whaling on it with the mallet, it didn't move. I actually had to stop and laugh a little before I went back to whaling on it again (it was either that, or cry, or see how far I could throw it). Took the U pipe off and stuck a 2"x2" into the manifold and tried prying with it, tried beating on it, tried wedging stuff between the cyinders and the manifold and still nothing.

I'm going to take the cylinders off (with the manifold still attached) and take it to a machine shop. They've got to have a better idea.

I'm going thru all of this cause I deto'ed the engine last year. Melted all 3 of the piston crowns (down to the first ring), right in front of the exhaust port. I also got a new crank to replace the SBT one the I've got in there.

+1
    I did not know you had the cylinders ported. It should run good when it gets back together. Good luck and keep me posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information