Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My RXT-X Just Sank...now what?

Looking for advice here. I recently had the tunnel cracks and the Dealer and Seadoo decided to warranty it. Yippie right? I bought this RXT-X in May 09 it has ran well and the dealer mechanic has been nothing but awesome.

I took it in with the cracks and they had a local guy repair it with the Kevlar and Carbon. I just got it back this week. Took it to the Military Marina and let it run for 15 min or so at the dock with no problems.

I added a bit of coolant as instructed by the mechanic who gave me the coolant to bring it up to just below the max line. I idled out of the docks to the first set of bouy and throttle up.

The engine light and check engine message poped up no more than 30 seconds after I throttled up. The engine shut off and I thought oh boy...

Well then I heard the water and noticed the back end sinking. In less than 2 min the Craft was under except the seat I held up the back as long as I could while panicing and trying to kick back to shore (about 1/8 mile away). it kept on sinking till the nose was pointed straight up. I tired until exhausted to keep it upside but it eventually flipped over.

An officer in base housing saw me struggling and ran to the marina got a boat and came out to help. This was after about an hour of me trying to keep the dang thing upright and from sinking completely.

I think if the officer had not seen me It would have sank and I duno what would have happen to me because I panicked and was completely exhausted.

He got me on his boat tied up the RXT and we limped it back to the dock.

It is now sitting in my driveway. I checked the tunnel and it is clean no cracks or what ever. Its full of water and oil. up to about half the battery now. Should I tilt it and drain the rest or keep it there as proof? Also there is a large hose in the back under the back seat on the bottom aft right side that is not connected. I also foudn a rag of some sort sitting near the engine cover.

I lost my Iphone to the water and a $300 reel is now at the bottom of the bay =(.

I have 5 year warranty on the craft. I do not want this RXT-X now. It has been submerged in salt water. I do not feel confident in it as a water craft to keep me safe.

Do you think they would give me a new one with the new hull instead? Should I get an attorney? Looking for advice from others who may have had similar experiences.

Of the 6 months I have owned it, its been in the shop getting tunnel fixed for the last 2 months.

Is there a Florida lemon law for PWC's? I absolutely do not want this thing now. Its garbage after being submerged in salt water for over an hour.

I do not want to mention the dealer right now because they have been nothing but good to me till this incident but If I have to I will go there to get this resolved in a manner acceptable to me.

+1
    Sounds like that dealer's mechanic may have left a hose off and caused your loss.... however, getting them to admit that may be difficult. Do you have a boater's insurance policy on the watercraft?

+1

Unhappy

I agree, it sounds like the dealer left a hose clamp loose or not even connected. I would personally try and drain all the water as much as possible after you take pics for documentation. Video too if you have that available on your camera.
    Do not try an dissasemble anything AT ALL. Take pics of the water in the hull, take pics of the rag and document where you were and how soon this happended. Take it back to the dealer and inform them what happended.

Document as much as you can. Also, see if you can match that rag with the rags they use in the shop. If a hose is loose or clamp loose, its their fault since they are the last ones to work on it. Good luck getting them to admit to fault.

It's not the destination, it's the journey!! Rip'nTear SHO's Avatar
    PWC manufacturers do a pretty good job sealing their electronics....but being submerged in salt is going to present its own set of problems. Even after the ski is dried out..........electrical gremlins r going to start to rear their ugly heads.

My SHO got lifted and thrown upside down (with me on it) by an 8 footer while i was checking my gps

A buddy towed me in and my engine compartment looked like an aquarium....it was full!!! Long and short of it is.........the ski is running fine now but after having issues that peaked about a month later from one of the coil packs going bad and then the electronic throttle dying....

Once that was replaced...the ski was back to new.....but in your case....you have to find out what sunk the ski in the first place. Take pictures of that loose hose and the water levels for ur own documentation......and take the ski back to the dealer. Let them have the headache of figuring it out as i think you've been thru enough right now.

Once you get more information.....you'll be in a better position to make a decision on what to do with the ski.

Best of Luck and keep us posted........

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    I agree, it sounds like the dealer left a hose clamp loose or not even connected. I would personally try and drain all the water as much as possible after you take pics for documentation. Video too if you have that available on your camera.
    Do not try an dissasemble anything AT ALL. Take pics of the water in the hull, take pics of the rag and document where you were and how soon this happended. Take it back to the dealer and inform them what happended.

Document as much as you can. Also, see if you can match that rag with the rags they use in the shop. If a hose is loose or clamp loose, its their fault since they are the last ones to work on it. Good luck getting them to admit to fault.
    +1, I will go this route with a cool head and talk, explain to them. The evidence is there. take pictures.

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    man i hate this for you,...it bites

Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post

I did all the above. It happend on the very first ride. I picked it up Friday and I got out there Sunday today...I only had it in the water for 15-20 min and had just throttled up for the first time.

So the big hose that is not connected filled it with water that fast? I thought for sure the hull work had just broke open since it filled so fast but I do not see anything wrong in the tunnel area.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jbh02 View Post

So the big hose that is not connected filled it with water that fast?
    if it was the hose that leaves the waterbox and goes in the resonator, then yes, it will fill up v-e-r-y fast. Part #24 below where it connects to the # 26 hose clamp

and if you have an electronic bilge pump installed, it would have kicked in action and depending where you have located the H2O outlet discharge, it would have warned you that your taking in water. Sorry for your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Sounds like that dealer's mechanic may have left a hose off and caused your loss.... however, getting them to admit that may be difficult. Do you have a boater's insurance policy on the watercraft?
    Yes I have insurance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information