07'RXP

Groco Strainer install question?

I am new here and I am finding this site to be VERY helpfull. I just installed the Groco strainer on my 07' RXP with stock intercooler. I noticed that the strainer had a directional arrow, so I hooked it up the righ way. My question is, when I go to flush the ski on the hose isn't the flow of water reversed? Will I still be able to flush the ski with the filter on, even though it has a specific direction of flow? The install came out real neat and in an easy to get to location (Front of engine). Also I noticed that when I bought the Groco strainer it didn't have any o-ring, is it supposed to? The strainer does look like it seals well even without an o-ring. Does the strainer effect water flow and cooling at all?

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 97GSX View Post
    I am new here and I am finding this site to be VERY helpfull. I just installed the Groco strainer on my 07' RXP with stock intercooler. I noticed that the strainer had a directional arrow, so I hooked it up the righ way. My question is, when I go to flush the ski on the hose isn't the flow of water reversed? Will I still be able to flush the ski with the filter on, even though it has a specific direction of flow? The install came out real neat and in an easy to get to location (Front of engine). Also I noticed that when I bought the Groco strainer it didn't have any o-ring, is it supposed to? The strainer does look like it seals well even without an o-ring. Does the strainer effect water flow and cooling at all?

Thanks,
    Chris
    1) The directional arrow is not important. It works fine either way.
    2) The flow is reversed but you still flush the ski with the filter on.
    3) It should have come with an o-ring...there is supposed to be one there. It may leak without it.
    4) The strainer does not effect water flow or cooling at all. It just keeps your intercooler clean.

07'RXP
    Hey Larry, thanks for the info. I guess I will have to go find a o ring that wil fit the strainer, I definately don't want any leaks.
    Thanks,
    Chris

Resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by lafjax View Post
    1) The directional arrow is not important. It works fine either way.
    2) The flow is reversed but you still flush the ski with the filter on.
    3) It should have come with an o-ring...there is supposed to be one there. It may leak without it.
    4) The strainer does not effect water flow or cooling at all. It just keeps your intercooler clean.

I've thought of the filter too but worried that it would eventually build too much resistance, causing my motor to overheat.

There is a lot of silts and sand that are able to be sucked up into my cooling system. How would I know that it was time to clean it? The one I looked at it see through.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoogtx2000 View Post
    I've thought of the filter too but worried that it would eventually build too much resistance, causing my motor to overheat.

There is a lot of silts and sand that are able to be sucked up into my cooling system. How would I know that it was time to clean it? The one I looked at it see through.
    You have to check it regularly for crap buildup. I installed mine with the arrow backwards so the crap shows up outside the filter instead of inside the filter where it's harder to see. I check mine after several rides depending on how much crap I rode through. You would really have to suck up a lot of crap before it became clogged. Riding at mudbug with duckweed 1/2 filled mine after 30 minutes. Just cleaned and rode out of the duckweed. If I hadn't had it it would have quickly clogged the intercooler. These things are a must have.

do they make these strainers in kits for the machine or did you have to put it in yourself?

Thread Information