Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

250x Thru housing failure...2x's!

Well….last week my thru hull housing which houses the bearings, and the drive shaft took a crap on me in the ocean. It cracked all the way around the housing. This is the tick rubber housing 1/4 inch thick.
    This caused my drive shaft coupler to take a crap as well. We replaced all the parts on Friday, mind you our race Is Sunday. We did not have time to pull the pump, so nothing was messed with there.
    Thought it was wear and tear on the boat. Sat did a test run, all was good. RPM's, and speed. Were good. Only rode for 10 minutes on and off the throttle.

Sunday race day. Boat is warmed up, green flag is dropped…boat was feeling good, but not real good. I had about 27 gallons of fuel, so it felt sluggish from the extra weight. It was running okay…about 10 miles or so into the race, I feel a judder from the engine.
    Starts vibrating some…..I stop, and smoke coming out…burnt smell of the belt,….my extra belt came loose and was rubbing the drive shaft…I got that out of the way thinking that was the issue. Hit WOT again..was good for a minute, then the judder came back. WOT…and the motor cut's out..chest hits the bars doing 70…Not fun! Popped the seat again, water coming in the hull now. My day was over…so…WTF could be causing the thru hull housing to crap out twice?

We verified the drive shaft to true, but maybe its ever so slightly out of wack. Jwilson told me it may be the pump bearings..maybe a siezed bearing. I must say…when I stopped and sat the first time..the seat was VERY hot..LOTS of heat coming from the hull area. Mind you water temps were cold!!
    So something is creating a lot of heat. I am going to pull the pump and check it, actually switch it to the 2010 pump shaft as it’s a dual bearing setup now. Any other idea's…some say engine allignment. But we pulled the motor, re-alligned it with the repair the first time.
    And it did it again. I also installed the Macc racing housing support, well the torque of my failure was so great, I snapped off 3 of the 4 bolts holding the housing. The rubber silicone we put on had gotten so hot, it was melted off…..
    Motor runs fine…seemed to be about 400 rpm's off tho. I'm usually at about 8200 or so, and was only at 7800 max per dreemo…
    Any idea's of what causes the pump housing to fail twice? Within 15 minutes of a full new housing and bearings, dampner coupler, belt and motor allignment?

Did u try exorcism?

Seriously i have no idea but u never had problems before changing the shaft support and u r one hell of a ski abuser.Maybe something wrong during install.

Quote Originally Posted by GODOSIDIS View Post
    Did u try exorcism?

Seriously i have no idea but u never had problems before changing the shaft support and u r one hell of a ski abuser.Maybe something wrong during install.

Maybe..but it has happend twice now. we have removed the engine a few times...Maybe I need to yank them pistons out. I've NEVER had boat issues. I install high comp pistons, and have yet to finish a race under full power...Frustrated...Oh...I will need a new drive shaft coupler too. it got toe up!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Maybe..but it has happend twice now. we have removed the engine a few times...Maybe I need to yank them pistons out. I've NEVER had boat issues. I install high comp pistons, and have yet to finish a race under full power...Frustrated...Oh...I will need a new drive shaft coupler too. it got toe up!
    There is a lot to be said for racing a stock ski.

Thumbs up very tru Joe! Learn the hard way huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Insanediego Joe View Post
    There is a lot to be said for racing a stock ski.

Tell me about it. As I sat waiting for vessel assist for over an hour. I had time to reflect in front of the power plant. thinknig...man..finishing races is so much funner than breaking down. I am ALL for racing stock class if others do it, where its a community of honest rule following people! That would be awsome IMO! Best rider wins...not fastest boat...

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubz1 View Post
    Tell me about it. As I sat waiting for vessel assist for over an hour. I had time to reflect in front of the power plant. thinknig...man..finishing races is so much funner than breaking down. I am ALL for racing stock class if others do it, where its a community of honest rule following people! That would be awsome IMO! Best rider wins...not fastest boat...

stock class should be intake grate, ride plate, prop, sponsons, steering....

no 3200.00 ems, intakes, valvetrain upgrades.... and all that stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Region8Ultra250X View Post
    stock class should be intake grate, ride plate, prop, sponsons, steering....

no 3200.00 ems, intakes, valvetrain upgrades.... and all that stuff

Agreed...and Lifter wedges. Leave it affordable for folks to race. We have a manufacturers stock class. ONLY item you can have is bilge pump. otherwise race now you got it. But yea..no ECU, SC wheel, and all the other "legal" stock class stuff. We make our own rules up here! LOL...Stock....MEANS STOCK....

back on topic...any ideas as to why my housing is taking a dump? Too much POWA????LOL....

WOW Dubz

I don't know the answer to why it failed on ya, but you are one guy who never gives up on the Ultra platform. Hope it is a simple fix, and you will get em next time. Something to be said for persistant and consistant driving in open water. A little off topic rant but maybe you should try this race

http://www.ijsba.com/ijsba/index.cfm.../misc/0229.htm

I will enter pure stock race

I would start with checking the pump bearings

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Dubz when you put your engine back in did u check alignment with the pump out,

I cant see pump bearings causing this kind of failure unless the were totally focked, and at that point you would hear them, after you pull the pump u will know.

Hard part now is if the support is totally focked, then it will be hard to see how bad your alignments in it current location, will have to redo with the new parts.

also did you use longer bolts on the MACC support. As the OEM bolts are too short

Just thinking of reasons Rob , not doubting your skills by the way !

Just I still keep coming back to a alignment issue big Time

When you did the pistons was that the 1st time you had your engine out ?

as all you troubles looks they have been since then, Well something aint aligned anymore

Waz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information