Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

coolant coming out off over fllow

I have an 06 rxp stage 3 went out this weekend and after 1/2 hr. of riding I went to the flat side of the lake to gps my speed . After a few passes the beep from hi temp went off .I pull it to shore fill the reserve tank and ran the sky on idle. I chek the ride plate and is geting warm but shortly after the water comes out of the over flow hose. I have been reading and it souds like head gasket. The question is does any one makes a H/G with a crush rings to keep the hi performance engine from bursting. wich is the best gasket to use factory or after market and do I have to pull the motor to change the gasket. Is there anny thing I can do to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for all the help..

Alex

+1
    Have you recently had the overflow tank hoses off? Make sure you put them back on right. I had mine crossed and coolant come out the overflow.

+1
    RIVA is going to have an improved headgasket, but its not out till December. The stock headgasket seems to blow alot.

Had the same problem on my x model.kept having to fill my coolant and my alarm would also go off.kept riding and topping up every time and eventually blew the motor.mine was a head gasket problem also and now i have to rebuild.from now om i will be more careful of overheating issues.

Unhappy over flow tank

I have A 160 degree thermo in it not the riva thermo but the one I read on one of the G/H post that you can do for alot less than the riva if you have a little mech skills and ran all sumer with no problems. I am going to take the thermo out and runn it on the trailer to see if it still does it. Just in case is the thermo stock. But I don't have my hopes high. Does any one knows if you can get the 131 degree thermo at a marina parts store?

+1
    If you fill it make a WOT pss for about 1/8 mile and if you are puking coolant out of the over flow could be blown head gasket, bad thermo, or oil cooler lines are reversed.

I went through the same crap. I installed new head gasket (no you dont have to pull the motor) and decided to go with head studs. Everything was great till about 5 - 10 hours later. Now I am possibly suffering from the same problem again. It has me pretty pissed off. Now I am debating on waiting for the new Riva gasket but as others mentioned it wont be till December 1st (see below for the details) and we have a lot of great riding till then, but I dont want to have to go through this all over again down the road. I did find a couple other things it could be, but I think I am grasping at straws.

Good luck with your findings.

PRO-SERIES CYLINDER HEAD GASKETS
    Our Pro-Series Cylinder Head Gaskets were developed to withstand severe heat & pressure generated
    by high-boost and high horsepower applications delivering maximum reliability to your racing engine.
    Key Benefits Include:
    • Three layer stainless construction for durability & corrosion resistance.
    • Viton coated & embossed surfaces for maximum sealing between head and
    cylinder block.
    • Unique design promotes even torque load across sealing surface & requires
    no re-torque.

260/255/215 RS10050-CHG-1503 (Std.)

As far as the 131 thermo, no one has come up with a drop in replacement yet, so the best one to go with is the 158* Sierra.

coolant coming out over fllow

OK boys after doing a compresion test my finds are piston one 130 psi, piston two 110 psi, piston three 130psi. At this time I am convince that the head gasket need replacing but after reading some of your sugestions I desided to check my thermostat first. gess what? The Mech. who took my motor out to clean after I blew the super charger washers installed my hoses out the oil cooler backwards.OK an honest mistake. My concern is the differnce in piston psi and the fact that the engine over heated is got me thinking on what to do. Run it or pull the head gasket any way since it over heated . I shure dont whant to cause more damage. Jerry from G/H what is your in put. And if I have to pull the head of what do I need to do to install the cylinder head pressure jet on my 06 rxp.

Thanks.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by seawoolf View Post
    OK boys after doing a compresion test my finds are piston one 130 psi, piston two 110 psi, piston three 130psi. At this time I am convince that the head gasket need replacing but after reading some of your sugestions I desided to check my thermostat first. gess what? The Mech. who took my motor out to clean after I blew the super charger washers installed my hoses out the oil cooler backwards.OK an honest mistake. My concern is the differnce in piston psi and the fact that the engine over heated is got me thinking on what to do. Run it or pull the head gasket any way since it over heated . I shure dont whant to cause more damage. Jerry from G/H what is your in put. And if I have to pull the head of what do I need to do to install the cylinder head pressure jet on my 06 rxp.

Thanks.
    That'll do it too.
    DO a leak down test. Try it and the compression test on a warm engine and see what you get. Also once you fix the mixed hoses, take it out and after warming the ski up do a long 1/8-1/4 mile WOT run and see if it pukes coolant. If so then it is most likely head gasket.

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    flip flopping the oil cooler hoses shouldnt matter...it is just a heat exchanger...should work either way ...as far as flow goes unless there is a check valve i dont know about....

When I metion instaling the hoses backwards I ment the one coming from the reserve tank and the one coming out of the oil cooler. I don't know if that will cause the head gasket to fail. I yet need to go to try it to see if it if is still doing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information