Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

green shaft seal on solas 15/22

well long story short, ive been chaseing this noise sounding like cavitation. i put a lot of parts on at once, reduction nozzle, grate and the 15/22. doing some more inspecting tonight i notice the green seal on the prop backed off and slid about an inch up the driveshaft. am i missing something? should i have put loctite on that? no real way to see if its broke till i take it off tommorow. hopefully that will be my phantom noise cause. ski still ran great though up to 77+ so far.

mike h

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    well long story short, ive been chaseing this noise sounding like cavitation. i put a lot of parts on at once, reduction nozzle, grate and the 15/22. doing some more inspecting tonight i notice the green seal on the prop backed off and slid about an inch up the driveshaft. am i missing something? should i have put loctite on that? no real way to see if its broke till i take it off tommorow. hopefully that will be my phantom noise cause. ski still ran great though up to 77+ so far.

mike h
    The nosecone is known for coming off.
    Your lucky this time,if you are unlucky the nosecone causes a leak on your carbonseal,and you will have bigger problems.
    I would suggest you leave it off,i'm running the same way without any problems.

+1
    I use loctite 518 and dent the threads with a screw driver and have never had one come off. There are no gains from removeing the nose cone.
    Glad it didn't walk its way up the shaft to push your carbon seal forward to lose the seal.

Banned User
    +1
    dang i guess i was much luckier then i'd first thought. i think ill try the dented threads and major loctite first. as always,thanks for the info!!

mike

+1
    locktite alone won't work. or maybe its just me but that sucka still came off. I too will do the dent a thread. thanks for that tid bit

+1

Nosecones

Just a counter point and a different opinion ... the cones do not prevent water from getting to the shaft splines, in fact they often trap water instead. Many people have reported up to .5 mph increase in speed by not using a cone, but many have also chosen to run without any cone since some have had their driveshafts pushed forward by hydraulic pressure of water pushed & trapped behind the cones. That can cause carbon seal leaks and even mess up thrust washers in the motor ... for those reasons many of us have chosen to run without any cones at all.

This has not been mentioned for awhile, but was very publicized a few years back. Just some food for thought ...

Banned User
    +1
    so if they dont prevent water from getting in, was the purpose of these to just help water flow better through the pump? but if thats the case it obviously doesnt work very well if people are getting .5mph by removing them. hmmm

+1
    Good question, but I think you are right ... but on most skis people have found better speed without them. The people who were getting their shafts shoved forward and still wanted to run nosecones actually drilled two holes through them and that seemed to stop the hydraulicing issue. Might be worth a search on nosecone issues mentioned in old posts too if you want more examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    so if they dont prevent water from getting in, was the purpose of these to just help water flow better through the pump? but if thats the case it obviously doesnt work very well if people are getting .5mph by removing them. hmmm
    Last edited by Vern; 11-03-2009 at 04:51 PM. Reason: fixed

I removed mine. Didn't gain anything as far as top speed is concerned on 2 back to back tests this year. I thought the ski had a better hole shot without the cone, but I have no way to confirm that.

Would someone be so kind to copy and past this NOSE CONE. I will be doing the prop swap and would prefer to leave this piece off.... thanks for your time to help out... bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information