Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

metal shavings in oil filter, what to do?

while winterizing my 07 RXP this past weekend, I took a look at my oil filter, and while it was dirty (had about 50 hrs on it) i noticed it also had a couple really small metal shavings in, I would say, every other fold of the filter. I tried to take some pictures, but they didnt turn out so well.
    The ski was running great the whole season with no issues, consistantly ran 8100 rpms, colder days 8160 and 70 on the seadoo speedo. Charger was redone by Jerry before the start of the season, blade doesnt spin freely by hand, doesnt feel like I lost any acceleration. The ski was winterized with 195hrs on it. The ski has been babied, oil changed every 25 hrs, flushed, lubed and fogged after every ride (just cuz).

My question, was the oil filter just doing its job? has anyone seen this before? should I be concerned? what should I do? thanks in advance

I also have warranty until September 2010, but the ski is lightly modded, I am worried about what a dealer would say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0539.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	157762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0540.JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	837.3 KB 
ID:	157763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0541.JPG 
Views:	231 
Size:	916.8 KB 
ID:	157764  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXPteamtimebomb View Post
    while winterizing my 07 RXP this past weekend, I took a look at my oil filter, and while it was dirty (had about 50 hrs on it) i noticed it also had a couple really small metal shavings in, I would say, every other fold of the filter. I tried to take some pictures, but they didnt turn out so well.
    The ski was running great the whole season with no issues, consistantly ran 8100 rpms, colder days 8160 and 70 on the seadoo speedo. Charger was redone by Jerry before the start of the season, blade doesnt spin freely by hand, doesnt feel like I lost any acceleration. The ski was winterized with 195hrs on it. The ski has been babied, oil changed every 25 hrs, flushed, lubed and fogged after every ride (just cuz).

My question, was the oil filter just doing its job? has anyone seen this before? should I be concerned? what should I do? thanks in advance

I also have warranty until September 2010, but the ski is lightly modded, I am worried about what a dealer would say.
    I find your screen name and you posting this amusing for some reason... Sorry!....

+1
    Mine has some in it two when changing the oil. The oil pumps sometimes scrap the oil pump housing a little sending a few shavings into the filter

canadian iceman
    +1
    did or have you changed your impeller lately?? or at any time did your impeller back spin(didn't tighten it enough?)....what your seeing in your filter may be your thrust washers from the crank?? I have had this on mine and it's not good to run it without going thru the entire engine and repacing thrust washers...just my 2 cents

+1
    well I guess it is just going to have to go to the dealer and see what they say, I am just worried because of the few small mods I have done, I know how dealers can be with a "modded" ski, they might not warranty it based on the aftermarker seatcover alone! ha

canadian iceman
    +1
    hope it's not the washers...im in the middle of doing mine and you have to pull the motor, oil pan and hopefully I can replace these nasty washers...which are there to KEEP you from cratering your engine...i will probably start a post once i get this all done as i know of it happening to a few boats out there..i presently have an 08 rpxp...

+1
    Small pieces of metal are normal,since you'r turning 8100 + rpm,i wouldn't worry to much.
    On my previous ski i had the metal shavings also,the ski has since that put 100 hr on it ,the total hrs are at 270 still runs fine.

im telling u take it to Bills, he doesn't care what is done to the ski!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by richrxp View Post
    Small pieces of metal are normal,since you'r turning 8100 + rpm,i wouldn't worry to much.
    On my previous ski i had the metal shavings also,the ski has since that put 100 hr on it ,the total hrs are at 270 still runs fine.
    Im thinkin "dont fix it if it aint broke" and running it if it runs fine, there is still a whole season of riding that is under warranty, I figured some metal was ok since that what the filter is for, I've just never seen any before or maybe just didnt notice.
    Maybe ill look in to Bills, thanks Slider

+1
    both my ski's aways have small amounts of shavings keep a mental note if it get worst then worry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information