Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Talking Quit Playing Around!

Ok guys, why have you not started thinking outside of the box yet? Alot of you have very good knowledge of the skis AND HAVE MADE GREAT STRIDES. So why are you not going 100+ mph yet??? I have never seen so many people work so long, so hard and spend so much money for the little results your getting. I just started playing around with this sport a couple weeks ago and have already come to the conclusion a few things need to change.

First of all you guys are to worried about the power of the engine and not enough about how its delivered to the water. There IS a way (maybe 2 that I know of) to take a stock engine over 100mph. (they came to me in my sleep last night) and are on the drawing board.

The primary way will not only run over 100mph but it will YANK your arms from the holeshot and pull hard all the way to the top. Your hull modifications will be made to keep it in the water on takeoff.

I do not want to hear anyones current SECRETS (Im not interested and thats not what this is about) Im talking outside the box!
    Lets talk about some Ideas just for a bit. BRAINSTORM it might be fun to hear what people come up with. I will share both my Ideas as well (later)
    Skunkworks didnt build the SR71 by going the normal route.

Let me just say before anyone even post. IM NOT TRYING TO MAKE ANYONE MAD but I am trying to stir the pot. I think it needs it. Just for fun!

If a TMD (tuned mass damper) is used to control porpoising, more negative angle can be used on the ride plate and trim tabs. This is commonly used technology it just needs to be applied to our sport. Realistically it is only worth about 3mph on a GPR and 6 on a GP……….
    Last edited by Darthraider; 08-25-2006 at 06:02 PM.

+1
    I hope this does not sound stupid, but how come you could not rework te hull to accept a hugh pump out of a jet boat? Could this and the added HP produce more speed?

On this thread NOTHING IS STUPID! I want any and everything you guys can come up with. Thats how this game works. We wont ridicule any Ideas but maybe throw back a question, want more explanation, or give a logical reason why it wouldnt work.

TMD would be a cool mod. Like you say It might not be earth shattering performance wise but it would sure make for a nice ride. even at lower speeds.

As far as the jetboat pump, I think the engine requirements would exceed the room constraints. The pump has to match the HP pretty close to be somewhat effective.
    Keep them coming.

+1
    dude, i think we all dream of ways to go faster every night.

I have one that WILL work that I will share. Im waiting to hear back from a guy in nova scotia that can make the part I need to make it happen. Ive worked with him many times. I have the rest already.

This isnt the one im talking about but why not loose the jet all together and run a prop instead of an impeller? You could either change the angle and run it below like a ski boat and change the nozzle out to a rudder to keep the same linkage. Or you could extend the shaft and run the prop behind the boat (wouldnt be the safest that way).
    For underneath we could run the shaft out to a CV joint with a carrier bearring for support. Then you would have to deal with the prop torque trying to flip the ski. for that we could have sponsons that were extendable that locked were you wanted. The sponsons would look somewhat normal but would actually be made like mini pontoons for both lift and side support. A 600pound boat that turns a PROP at 7150rpms is screaming, not to mention only the rear of the ski would be in the water then so you could go more on pitch to keep rpms down.

That is the kind of crap Im talking about. I will tell the good one a little later when I have more info on the part.

From my limited perspective the problem approaching high speeds is that to get there you turn the GPR in to more of a plane than a boat. Keeping it stuck to that water while getting 95% of the boat out the water is a delicate dance at best. I hope you can solve it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by porksword
    I have one that WILL work that I will share. Im waiting to hear back from a guy in nova scotia that can make the part I need to make it happen. Ive worked with him many times. I have the rest already.

This isnt the one im talking about but why not loose the jet all together and run a prop instead of an impeller? You could either change the angle and run it below like a ski boat and change the nozzle out to a rudder to keep the same linkage. Or you could extend the shaft and run the prop behind the boat (wouldnt be the safest that way).

That is the kind of crap Im talking about. I will tell the good one a little later when I have more info on the part.
    I must say that is way out there. By doing this, you are moving the boats center of gravity waaaaaaaaaaay back. This is one of a prop driven boats biggest advantage over a jet pump driven boat.

Put it another way... on a jet pump driven boat, the motor and impeller are usually directly connected via the drive shaft and pump shaft. Because of the shafts are so high (think of how high your engine is mounted inside the hull), it makes for a very inefficient set up. Compare this to a prop driven boat which has the prop literally underneath the hull, rather than inside of it. What an advantage.

Another obvious difference. The engine and impeller of a jet pump driven boat (PWC) is mounted in front of the transom plate, where as with a prop driven boat the engine and the prop can be placed aft of the transom giving you better lift and effeciency because the center of gravity is much futher aft. In fact, you can mount the whole engine and prop way behind the boat with a bracket.

A jet pump driven boat always has to have a certain amount of a bow down attitude to keep the intake tunnel hooked up. A prop driven boat can run completely out of the water with a bow up attitude!

These are some of the more apparent reasons why a 10 foot boat with a 150-170 hp engine has a hard time doing 100 mph.... ineffeciency.

We can creep up to the 100 mph mark as a group though if we all give a little imput.... even the failures may give some one else insight on which direction to go.

My contribution is this: Remember I said that the engine and pump were mounted to high and had to be lowered? Why not lower the engine, center bearing that houses the intermediate shaft, and the transom plate all at once to get the venturi lower into the water. There is a little room there for some one who is willing. Who knows, it may even eleminate the chine walking that these boats are known for.

How about increasing the vacume on the intake? How can we change the shape of the intake to increase the suction pressure so that the entering water is accellerated before it actually hits the impeller? A scoop grate scoops more water in at the expense of drag.... what I am talking about is the "shape" of the intake createing vacume to help pull water into the intake and increasing its velocity at the same time.

+1
    Hasnt the shaft and prop idea ala inboard skiboat been done before ... I'm sure I read sumthin' ???

I've always wanted to try and upside down supercharger scoop bolted to the intake area.

Hanging off a streamline keel like on a Americas Cup sail raceboat but has angle forward, and at the bottom, has a scoop, facing forward, that the faster you go the more water it flows by being in the water at all times !!!

Needs a testpilot !! I aint riding the thing !!! Hehehehehehe !

How about making the liner longer and running two impellers inline on the same shaft ...process water better ???

A two-speed dog box instead of coupler ... lever changed on the fly or hit with compressed air servo to change at 80mph ?

Draw intake air through a ice-to-air intercooler ... you must make 10% with that ...

Regards
    Anthony

+1
    F*ck it! Just put a 200 horse outboard on a 1300! Just kidding but imagine a yamaha SUV with a big outboard on it!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information