Thread: 95 XP air leak?

95 XP air leak?

My 95 XP (717) revs while on the trailer, pretty much what is known as the "death rev" and what ever else it might be called. The ski runs perfect in the water though. It just hit me that this might be an air leak somewhere, is it possible for an air leak to make it act this way?

If so I will do a leak down test.

+1
    do you still have the grey fuel lines?

i would suspect clogged carb filters first before an air leak.

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    do you still have the grey fuel lines?

i would suspect clogged carb filters first before an air leak.
    No, all new black lines and carbs were cleaned at the same time.

+1
    sure your not lean?

easy way to test for a air leak, lower the idle on the trailor to about 1500 or so. then take a can of carb cleaner or starter fuild and spray around the motor (like around the head gasket, crank area..etc...). just dont get it in the intake or the test is mute. while spraying, listen for an increase in rpms. if so, thats where your air leak is.

^ I did that when I first got it because the ski was a basket case. Never found anything that way. Just went out and started it up to make sure everything dried out since I just washed/cleaned inside the hull today and it started and idled perfectly. Revved and then came back to idle like it should. Shut down and tried again, same thing.

Real sure its not lean, carbs adjusted to factory specs and plugs look good as well as piston wash when I pulled the head while chasing other problems.

Incense?

Quote Originally Posted by X-Runner View Post
    ^ I did that when I first got it because the ski was a basket case. Never found anything that way. Just went out and started it up to make sure everything dried out since I just washed/cleaned inside the hull today and it started and idled perfectly. Revved and then came back to idle like it should. Shut down and tried again, same thing.

Real sure its not lean, carbs adjusted to factory specs and plugs look good as well as piston wash when I pulled the head while chasing other problems.
    It's kinda unorthodoxed but, when you have a problem with a runaway engine, it's usually an air leak somewhere. This might sound weird but it worked for me. With the air box removed, have an incense lite or anything that creates smoke. Then, with the engine running, put the incense down around the manifold and rotary plate to see if the smoke is being sucked in.

Lots or time, the air your sucking in, causing the "runaway" engine is from a carb(s) not making a good sea to your manifold

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoogtx2000 View Post
    It's kinda unorthodoxed but, when you have a problem with a runaway engine, it's usually an air leak somewhere. This might sound weird but it worked for me. With the air box removed, have an incense lite or anything that creates smoke. Then, with the engine running, put the incense down around the manifold and rotary plate to see if the smoke is being sucked in.

Lots or time, the air your sucking in, causing the "runaway" engine is from a carb(s) not making a good sea to your manifold
    Haha interesting, I might have to give that a try.

are you sure both carbs are returning to their stops?

is the linkage adjusted correctly and free to rotate??

"deah rev"

The runaway engine, sometimes referred to as a death rev cause no matter what you do, if it's allowed to go on to long, will continue to run the engine even after you shut it off. That's due to the amount of heat that was generated, it's able to fire off that heat, like a diesel. About the only way to stop it is to wash the cylinders down with cold fuel.

Most of the time, it happens when someone takes the carb off for rebuild and gets something trapped under the gasket, causing it to suck air. Or if they removed the rotary plate......

Thread Information